Pm45 932/940 Some Simple Things I Did To Save Time

Subwayrocket

Registered
Registered
Here's a few things I did to make things easier for myself. They're cheap and are working so far.

I started facing off all my nasty , dinged up Alum chill blocks ...after the first one, I had a mess so I cut this chip catcher out from a pizza box. I have a little neodymium magned holding it to the back of the vise. I can flex the sides in or out ...it cost's zero . With these rubber sheets on the table, I can just toss all the chips in the can. Catches most of the chips , saves me some cleanup time and less running the shop vac, keeps most of the junk out of the
slots and vise. It's just some corrugated vinyl runner mat, pieces I had left over, the cheap kind from lowes. Links below for the magnets.
1ChipCatcher.jpg

2ChipCatcher.jpg

-----------------------------------------------
I got tired of up and down the stool, looking for my drawbar wrench , this little magnet holds it right where I need it ...it doesn't vibrate and does not move unless I grab it. The little hand tool up top is also sitting on a magnet, I stuck a short piece of 3/32 Tig rod in the hole so the tool stays in place.
Link for these magnets https://amzn.com/B01F866W7U
3DrawBarWrenchHolder.jpg

I've got two of these magnet base lights, one on each side. One was adequate but hey two is better.
They hold in place VERY well ...and the gooseneck does not droop like a lot of these kind do.
Here's a link for these lights https://amzn.com/B01ACIFPYA
4MillLights.jpg

I also put a few of the allen wrenches I've used most on a magnet hook.
5AllenWrenchHolder.jpg

I'm sure most people doing this for a while figured all this out already ...
Hope this can give some ideas to anyone new to milling (like me) .

As I've been browsing HM I notice a lot of people already use the cardboard thing and the rubber mats over the table ...so I guess this is nothing new ...LOL
One thing I have started doing is laying a piece of painters paper over the mats left and right side of the vise, the magnets still hold that down , then I just roll up the mess and toss it in the trash.
Big time saver. The painter paper comes cheap in about a 12-14" roll and the magnets hold it all down. I found that while the mats kept all the chips out of the slots, they did not clean off the mat very easily because of the cutting fluid so adding the paper works great . It's also nice for laying out parts on my work bench.

I have since moved the magnets and allen keys to the top front face of the mill head. I've got 5 magnets there and each will hold one or two allen keys all day long .
The hooks are not necessary so I removed them, now the allen keys are pulled off and on much easier .

Back