Pm25mv

OK

Got clearance on that vise.. the "slot" was an unfinished casting, with knobs sticking out about .060".
Went full depth with the first end mill I purchased in 1995- it had a guest appearance on a drill press for spot facing some holes, then into the box. This cut was 3/4" deep, .030" wide; I had no way to check for sand inclusion.
Based on the sound, there was none.
Now that the slot is smooth, I have play with the keys- I may just remove them. Goodbye to the good fit, but that was based on pretty small bits of iron that probably would have crumbled.
Machine base mount: 5/8 mill cert plywood, 4 ' x 4', laid gently over the carpeting. Rides like a small ship, it's got roll and yawl. But it did an admirable job of cleaning up the slot. No eyebrow furrowing whatsoever. It was over all to soon. Quite a satisfying experience.
Next job is to make an internal tool for an HO scale boxcar: I need to remove the doors with the mill (injection-molded in-place with the car body) so they won't just snap off. I am envisioning a 6061 tool that fits inside the body, probably held against the tool with hard rubber to avoid marring the exterior (no tool marks allowed, this is probably ABS). The interior of the car has a draft of about 2°, the tool needs to match on both ends and sides. The body will be milled flush in the door area to prepare for a different style door. If anyone has experience with milling ABS, I am ready for advice; if not, I'll start the book.
The "door job" is one of the first milling jobs on the list. I am planning on attaching two 123 blocks to the aluminum tool for holding it in the vise, but I will need a length of micro drill rod to get the angle before I begin. I just planned on flycutting all four sides of the tool. I am sure that this machine is steady enough at this point; the cuts will be about 1.25" wide.
I fear the biggest problem will be the swarf launching event this will initiate. I don't have the visqueen yet, but that probably won't stop me from making the cutter and taking light "test" cuts...

It is with a great deal of restraint I have managed to muster to remain firmly upstairs; I know if I mount the 123 blocks to the aluminum, I'll be attempting to get as far as I can tonight....which can lead to a tool crash or scrapped part. I'll stay up here, do the calculations for finishing the block, and call it a night.

Hmmmmm..... smells like Rapid Tap.

Later

StanR

Back