Pm1440gt Ordered

If you can wheel a pallet jack into the garage it should be no problem. They were great when they delivered mine.

It was delivered yesterday, I'll post pics when I get a chance. UPS had to call a second truck in to get another pallet jack to get it up my driveway, but that worked out, and they put it right where I wanted it. I had previously reinforced my rafter directly above it, and used a chain hoist to get the pallet out from under it, and place it on the pads. Worked perfectly.

Some pictures of delivery & initial set-up. I'm working with mksj to do the VFD conversion, so I haven't yet made any chips. I've cleaned off all the cosmoline, which was a bit of a job. I borrowed a Starrett .0005" / foot level to get it leveled, which went smoothly, if a little tediously. As best as I can tell thus far, the bed dips, or sags, about .0005" in the middle, and I was able to remove all detectable twist. The controls all seem to work smoothly, all three hand wheels are silky smooth, gear changes take a minimal amount of spindle movement.
I had QMT install the Easson 12b DRO, which looks like a great unit, reading .00005" on the cross slide, and .0002" on the carriage. When set up for 2 axis lathe install, it shows the cross slide as X, and the carriage as Y, where I am used to the carriage being Z, but this doesn't bother me.
The lathe came with the 3 jaw chuck installed. When tested with a .001" indicator, it appears to have about .0007" run out, which seems fantastic. The spindle itself shows no movement whatsoever, using the same indicator.
I installed the included 4 jaw chuck, the cam locks were not installed, so that took a little fiddling to get everything mated up properly. Once I got it installed, I easily got it down to zero detectable run out.
So far, so good.
UPS truck delivery.
UPS brought it about 100' up my driveway, and put it down right where I wanted it.
Crate removed.
Lifting it off the pallet.

Back