PM1440GT 3-phase lathe wanting to install a Yaskawa GA50UB012ABA VFD, any guidance is appreciated.

IR-JEB

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I am in the process of preparing to receive a PM1440GT, expected mid to late October this year 2022. The tracking shows it is currently expected at the Panama Canal on 9/23/22 @ 0200. This is a 3-phase lathe, and I will be using it in my single-phase shop in my home. Therefore, I will be forging ahead with my first VFD installation.

I believe I have read most if not all the posts pertaining to VFD installations on lathes from this group. I am overly impressed with the level of detail and engineering that has been completed in this regard. The quantity of information can get overwhelming as improvements are implemented keeping track of the revisions are not the easiest. I just hope to have the assistance of the most current information of those willing to share. I will be using a Yaskawa GA50UB012ABA for the VFD. I have just received it a few hours ago. As others have stated it’s a big drive! I am looking at an electro-mechanical installation vs digital. I will be replacing the factory contactors for the lathe with relays. It appears that automation direct is a common supplier chosen by many that have done this previously. A few items I plan to order are backordered however the lead time is acceptable with my anticipated lathe arrival.

I am interested if anyone has documented the point to point or schematic for a PM1440GT with a GA50UB012ABA that would be willing to share their work. I have the point-to-point work which has been posted by "mksj" for the Hitachi VFD’s. I anticipate this is very similar to the Yasakawa VFD. His work is truly exceptional.

I would also like to implement the proximity probe option that many have used. What specific proximity probes have been successfully utilized?

I am attempting to locate the specifics for the appropriate breaking resistor for the GA50UB012ABA. I have found a Yaskawa specs for the CDBR braking unit with the LKEB resistor for a 2.2 KW capacity they specify part number LKEB-2 2P2 for the resistor. The spec is a 70-ohm 260-watt resistor. Can the appropriate resistor be installed by itself? The resistor information is in the Yaskawa document TOBPC72060001 on page 14 and 48. I have not completed a good review for info on the braking resistor yet. Any input would be appreciated.

The speed pot per the manual would be a 2K ohm unit. I like the idea of installing the speed potentiometer in a case for the RPM indicator. Any specifics in this regard would also be appreciated.

The previously posted programing for the GA50UB012ABA VFD will be a big help and I may have additional questions and or ask for a PEER check on programing parameters prior to final implementation.

I hope to utilize the stock 3 phase motor if everything works out OK. If the stock motor results in problems I am prepared to source and install an inverter ready 3 HP motor.

I am sure I will have other questions that I can inquire about as I work through this process.

I would like to thank those that have been posting on the VFD installations and anyone else with comments that can help my project move forward without recreating what has already been engineered and implemented.

I would recommend starting out with the basic install and adapt it for the GA500, then if you want more later you can replace the stock control board/wiring. Automation Direct is out of many of the components I often use for my system builds, I now source from other vendors based on available stock. The jog circuit does not require logic diodes, as you program individual inputs for forward/reverse. You can also add a fast stop circuit which is a separate NO contact block on the E-Stop and when pressed activates the fast stop programmed input. The brake circuit needs a separate switch block to activate the base block command. The recommended brake resistor is 62-75 ohms so any braking resistor in the 300-500W works well. I have attached a generic Yaskawa GA500 parameter file that I use for lathe systems. I do not have the time these days to walk people through these builds, but can address a few specific questions. On the 1440GT you have the option of either mounting the VFD in the headstock cabinet or in a separate VFD enclosure, there are previous posts showing what others have done.
Braking resistors:

Attachments

• Yaskawa GA500 Paramters for 3Hp Lathe.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
I would recommend starting out with the basic install and adapt it for the GA500, then if you want more later you can replace the stock control board/wiring. Automation Direct is out of many of the components I often use for my system builds, I now source from other vendors based on available stock. The jog circuit does not require logic diodes, as you program individual inputs for forward/reverse. You can also add a fast stop circuit which is a separate NO contact block on the E-Stop and when pressed activates the fast stop programmed input. The brake circuit needs a separate switch block to activate the base block command. The recommended brake resistor is 62-75 ohms so any braking resistor in the 300-500W works well. I have attached a generic Yaskawa GA500 parameter file that I use for lathe systems. I do not have the time these days to walk people through these builds, but can address a few specific questions. On the 1440GT you have the option of either mounting the VFD in the headstock cabinet or in a separate VFD enclosure, there are previous posts showing what others have done.
Braking resistors:
mksj, thanks for the prompt reply /assistance. I agree the basic install will be the best option to get use of the lathe and enhance the options as time permits. Your posting on the VFD installs has been a very valuable assistance. Ill look over and utilize your GA500 programing parameters. Thanks, I have enjoyed all your posts.

Just wanted to chime in and say "Congratulations and have fun with your new lathe"

You have the chosen a great machine and now that Mark (MKSJ) has responded, nothing I can help with except to say his support and meticulous technical details have always been outstanding.

If you haven't done so already check out JBolts posts as well, he was one of the first to get the 1440GT and install a VFD.

David.

David

Thanks for the encouragement. I am shopping parts currently, and everything is looking relatively well. I am excited to get the new lathe and get it in service. This will be a major upgrade going from a Jet 9 X 20.

I have reviewed the posts from JBolt as well as MKSJ. Lots of good info to assist in the build. I agree that Mark and Jbolt have provided a very detailed design which has the appropriate safety features included. What a significant time savings being able to work off the success of others.

I see you are from British Columbia; I would expect you are in full fall colors by this time. I sure appreciate the fall in the mountains. My wife and I enjoy fall in the Tetons and Yellowstone parks in the US. We had planned to be in Yellowstone now however cancelled the trip as our go to photography spot in Lamar Valley is still not accessible due to the spring floods and road damage.

Hi, Congratulations!

I installed the Hitachi VFD in my 1440GT and added all of the bells, whistles, and safety features.... , and wrote this up in considerable detail with drawings. In this posting, I also provided the wiring schematics for the machine as shipped from the factory, which is laid out physically one to one with the components involved. Maybe that will be of some help to you.

VFD conversion using solid state electronic components.

See the attachment: "PM1440GT Part 1 Factory..." for the original connections. If curious you can also check out my VFD installation description: "PM1440GT Part 2 VFD Description..."

Dave L.

B2 / Dave L.

I have reviewed your VFD installation documents and have to say they are over the top with detail. You are a superb technical writer! I have been using your as-found control / wiring information to start getting an understanding of the lathe and its controls as mine is still on a container ship. After I get the lathe, I will verify my configuration against what you have documented just to verify nothing has changed with the new production units.

BTW – what software are you utilizing to produce the electrical schematics and layout diagrams?

Thanks

Jamie B.

@IR-JEB Hi Jamie,

What a pleasant surprise to get your kind words and comments! Thanks. I have gotten very little feed back on my VFD install story. In fact, you are the first person in ages to mention it. It is a little surprising since according to HM, as of today, there have been 197 downloads of the "factory original description" and 177 of my VFD installation description!

I doubt that they change the electronics in the 1440GT very often, but I will be interested in what you find. In fact, I suspect that they have been using the same design for years and is similar for similar lathes. One tell tale is that the transformer used in mine is over kill and parts of it are unused indicating that at some time it was used for a lathe with other features. Sometimes, from a manufacturing cost and liability stand point, it is better not to change a design that works reliability.

As to the software for the drawings it is nothing special and not particularly designed for electronics drawing. I have an old version of MS Visio (version 2010!) and I just keep using it as I know it reasonably well. I use it for a lot of kinds of sketches and drawings. If for any reason you wanted the drawings in Visio rather than as pdf versions I could post it to you.

I do not know the Yaskawa GA50UB012ABA VFD that you plan to use, but suspect that it has a similar set of control I/O features as the Hitachi WJ200 that I used. So maybe there is something useful for you in my install description. The connections/operation of the latching relay in the original factory install and the simple solid state latch that I put into my circuit is the key to all of the safety features as well as some of the options (like the proximity sensor and spindle revolution counter stop-start) that I designed for.

Anyway, if you have any other questions or just comments I sure would like to hear them. I see you are in Ohio, most of a day worth of travel to Pittsburgh, PA, but if you are coming this way and would like to see my machine or chat let me know. The PM facility is about halfway between downtown Pgh and the airport and so is an easy visit.

Dave L.

Back