Pm1440gs not running, advise needed

richl

Active User
Registered
20170730_135931.jpg
I have gone thru all the troubleshooting tips in the manual
All switches have been checked and rechecked
Where I am at now is motor control lever, the manual says to refer to schematic section 5 in the manual. This brought me to the back of the machine where I spent some time checking things, resetting breaker and such. Nothing seems to be helping.

I do see something I am unsure of the wire unconnected in front is number 15, the other end is hooked up. Anyone can confirm this being hooked up?
Wire #15 is in the top left corner below the orange 4 strip terminal. It goes into the switch 2nd to the right on top

Rich

Last edited:
I can look at mine later when I get home. I briefly ran mine with no issues for about 1 min. I plan to run at all speeds to break in, just haven't checked everything I want to before doing that.

Also, did you check the brake to make sure something isn't amiss.

Checked brake, Chuck cover, I see mention of a gear cover switch, I can't find that one. I appears to get power, dro works (it runs 220 before the transformer, and the led light works, that is after the transformer. This is why I question the wire.

Thanks, any help appreciated.

Rich

The belt cover switch is shown in the picture below, it is a push button. Also check the brake switch shown it must be in the closed position (pushed up on the roller and the switch closed). Check that the E-Stop is not pushed, twist and release, also check that the chuck guard is completely down. There are 4 interlocks, E-Stop, chuck guard, belt cover and foot brake. It is not uncommon to have one of these switch fail or not be adjusted properly as to their travel (on/off position).

The schematics (see page 30 of the manual) are often not representative as to the actual wiring with respect to location (where the switch actually is wired into the circuit) and labeling.

If the work light is working, then you are getting power to the transformer and QF1 is OK.

When the machined is turned and the spindle direction lever is in the stop position, check that the KA contactor is on. If not then check the interlocks.

If the above checks out, then try the coolant pump. Per the schematic it is after the interlocks, but before the contactor overloads. You should also be able to hear the contactor click. If this doesn't work (or coolant pump does not turn on), then most likely one of the interlock switches is not working correctly. You can check voltage (24VAC) to each one sequentially.

With the spindle control lever in the STOP position, check the JOG. If rotation then you have an issue with the spindle switch. If no rotation, check to see if KM1 contactor is closing when you press the button. If the contactor closes, then it is most likely a dead motor. If no contactor activity, and you have checked voltage through the interlocks, then it could be an issue with the thermal overload relay.

You can also check voltages per the schematic, just be careful where you are poking, as there is a mix of 24VAC fro the control circuit and 240VAC on the high voltage. First see if the contactors are closing, then see if you are getting 240VAC to the contactor (L1 and L2)
Footbrake and belt cove interlocks.jpg

Wire to terminal #15 should be connected to N (or one side of the hot), that you have power to the light, this indicated the transformer is powered (240 VAC to terminals 14 and 15).
schematic.jpg

Last edited:
Rich,

Wire 15 is hooked up between the first and second 24v blocks. It is in the first slot in the back of both blocks on mine.

Picture with line shows where. This is the red wire in back I am talking about.

IMG_1243-L.jpg

I am headed out again, but if you need more info, I will respond tomorrow.

Last edited:
20170730_181850.jpg
20170730_181947.jpg
Thanks Mark and hozzie. The dro and the led light work.
There is no push button switch on my machine for the cover as per my picture, this is why I was wondering where it might be.

Hozzie my #15 wire is dangling, you can see the other end of the hook up just above, while this may not be the solution, I believe it has something to do with the problem.

By marks diagram above my #15 wire goes into Fri just below the reset button as per my picture.

As for the pulley cover switch, is this a new mod, or am I missing another element (switch, wire and hookup)?

I appreciate the troubleshooting tips mark, I did have a good look at the schematic for this part of the circuit, I do not believe the pump is working, though I do hear the relay for it when I turn the switch on the control panel on.

Rich

OK, yes you are correct. Since it seems that the manual wiring is numbered differently, I would verify the connection end with someone with a recent machine. The schematic in my experience is not representative of the actual wiring, so a bit frustrating. Wire #15 is connected at one end to the overload relay, it looks like the other end is connected to A1 of KM2 with a jumper to A1 of KM1. I would verify this with another machine or Matt before making the connection. Pretty sure that is the problem, especially when they stack wires and the spades are not seated properly, they can loosen. I always double and triple check my connections with my control system builds.

I'll wait for pm to answer my support request, I appreciate the response. I have a clearer picture of what I'm dealing with right now anyway.

Rich

Hi Rich, Let me know if you still need help with that, or if you have it figured out. Let me know where the other end of that disconnected wire goes, I can't make it out in the picture.

Back