PM1440 GT spindle Taper??

I'm afraid not. The adaptor supplied that fits the spindle ID is nore MT5 or MT6 but some where in the middle, so it's not a standard size. The ID of the supplied adaptor is MT3 to so you can use the supplied dead center in the spindle. The tail stock is also MT3. I was told an adapter can be machined to fit but I have no first hand knowledge of this. I also orderd some items that I returned and have a collet closer that I probably won't use, which I'm not to happy about. I feel this should be mentioned in the specs to avoid this problem. I guess this is one of the trade offs of having a 2" spindle and a D1-5, which is fine but should be mentioned.

Last edited:
Ahh ok, so I can at least use MT3 tooling in the spindle with the supplied adaptor, and the same MT3 tooling directly (not needing an adaptor) in the tailstock? I suppose that has its benefits.

I imagine Matt had a reason why not to have a standard taper in the spindle. Maybe to get us the larger bore or similar, just speculating.

Cheers

John

I'm pretty sure that between the short spindle length and the D1-5 there isn't enough room for an MT6. It could also be the added cost of the D1-6 components that could be a factor.

Fair enough. There must be a good reason and maybe that is it. Matt is no dummy.

Thanks for the insight, I will rejig my tooling to MT3. Matt when you are back online perhaps some notes in the spec sheet for the 1440GT would be helpful for newbies. Not being critical, just looking to be helpful.

Cheers

John

No problem glad I can help, at least you know before hand.

Frank

As far as I can recall it was originally shown as a MT6. Matt has changed the specs to show a MT5.5 spindle taper which is kind of silly since it does not show up as any standard MT taper.

One of the optional accessories he shows for the lathe is a collet closer. I asked about them when I first ordered my lathe and he said it would be a while before he had them. I'm wondering if his system will use a D1-5 to 5C collet adapter or a spindle bore adapter??? Might be worth asking.

Here is what Matt said when I asked him about the 2.0 bore and MT5.
  1. Bamban, Mar 12, 2016EditReport

2. qualitymachinetools
    clear.gif
    Active UserH-M Supporter-Premium

-Return to Top-

No problem, it just comes with a sleeve, the actual taper is larger than MT5.

Right so the spec sheet does show a MT5.5 I think my brain read MT5.5 and decided to see MT5. My bad. Maybe a note saying (Sleeve for MT3 Inc.) might make it more clear for pea brains like me.

I was just wondering were your seeing MT5.5? I just down loaded the spec sheet and it's showing MT5.

The MT 5.5 to MT3 adapter will not hold a 5C collet adapter. I know of nothing off the shelf that will work there, if MT5.5 to MT3 is how the lathe comes equipped.

Back