Pm1340gt Open Gear Lube?

Aaron, the stuff is about as nasty as anything you can imagine. It is a mix of 10 % molybdenum sulfide and 10% graphite in an asphalt base. If it gets on something you have to use a solvents and detergents to get it off. When you say it is black, that doesn't even begin to describe it. Wear some vinyl gloves when you put the stuff on. If you get it on your hands you're going to need a bar of Lava soap to get it off.

If you were to spray it on the gears it is going to make a mess of your lathe. Therefore I brush it on the teeth only and it drys to a waxy consistency that stays on them.

In the photo that I posted you can see that the gear teeth are black and the sides/body of the gears are shiny steel. I did not coat the gear that is not in use and that is apparent in the photo as well.

By the way, one can is a lifetime supply for the lathe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use STP applied with an acid brush. Sticks pretty good!

Thanks, Alan.

Aaron, the stuff is about as nasty as anything you can imagine. It is a mix of 10 % molybdenum sulfide and 10% graphite in an asphalt base. If it gets on something you have to use a solvents and detergents to get it off. When you say it is black, that doesn't even begin to describe it. Wear some vinyl gloves when you put the stuff on. If you get it on your hands you're going to need a bar of Lava soap to get it off.

If you were to spray it on the gears it is going to make a mess of your lathe. Therefore I brush it on the teeth only and it drys to a waxy consistency that stays on them.

In the photo that I posted you can see that the gear teeth are black and the sides/body of the gears are shiny steel. I did not coat the gear that is not in use and that is apparent in the photo as well.

By the way, one can is a lifetime supply for the lathe.

Okay, I spent a little time perusing the "studies" today on this topic and in allignment with Bob and David's advice, I have decided to give the following a trial. Because I have it on hand, I am going to Boeshield the gear sides to protect them from corrosion and then treat the gear cogs with CRC Industrial Extreme Duty Open Gear and Chain Lube.
View attachment 140446

The big advantage on this is the tackiness and content of this CRC product. It has significant amounts of graphite and molybdenum disulphide coupled with the heavy oil. It has a good reputation for this application and is specifically designated for open gears and chains. Downside is that it does not come in an aerosol can with a straw. Therefore I plan to spray an appropriate amount in container and brush it on the gears to avoid the mess. You will notice that even CRC describes it as a "Black Semi-Viscous Liquid". I have used powdered moly in the past in another application and it is truly nasty stuff in terms of a mess and stains. Here's the big component makeup from the Safety Data Sheet:

View attachment 140445

I am thinking that while this will be a bit messy it will provide the durable lubricity that one needs for the gears. I am hopeful that I will confirm the experience of others that it will not sling the lube everywhere under the cover.

+1

This is what I use with my PM1440E-LB. Have found it to be easy to apply and seems to stay on the gears better than most other things.

Back