PM1340GT - catching oil and chips

A

Alan H.

Forum Guest
Register Today
I have been looking for a way to catch the oil drips and some of the chips from my PM1340GT. I had noticed a couple of our friends here had put catch pans under the bed and the quick change gearbox to accomplish this.

I took some measurements and went to Walmart to buy some cheap pans. I think I found the ticket.

A small loaf pan (4.4 x 8.4 x 2.50) and baking pans (21 x 15 x 1). I bought two of the baking pans and one of the loaf pans. While the baking pans will cover the length of the bed, I will likely only use one on the headstock end the majority of the time.

I trimmed the loaf pan on a bevel so the levers would not be impeded and it is easily pulled out. It should catch the majority of that oil that drips out and makes such a big mess. Cleaned the machine up last night to get these pans in place on a clean machine. Now ready to make a mess again. Hopefully these pans will help cleaning it up from time to time. I hate a mess.

big pans.jpg
little pan.jpg
litle pan beveled.jpg
pans in place.jpg

good job Alan---I use a couple of the large aluminum bakery trays under the bed of my Logan to catch the mess---Dave

Nordicware makes nice pans. I've used those alumn bake pans as chip pans for other machines. Nice & thick.

Cool idea but I'm confused. Chip pans on top of a chip pan? What's wrong with the stock chip pan?

Easier to clean up the oily mess.

The PM1340 is tight underneath the bed on the headstock end, 1 3/8". This pan slides under there and should catch the worst part to clean up.

I almost bought a Sharp because it had a removable chip pan but the cost was more than I wanted to lay out. My son has one. So my removable chip pan is a Walmart bread pan!

Edit: Obviously the Sharp has a much larger removable pan that holds a significant volume.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I see. I hear you on that one. I wish I had a pull out chip pan or at the least a pan that was deeper. Mine is shallow too. I pick up the larger chips, then vacuum up the smaller chips.

My lathe has started to drip a bit & it's annoying sometimes. I have just been laying down a oil pad when the lathe is not in use.

I found some little plastic(?) pan that fits right under my QC and prevents a mess. I'd not thought about putting a pan under the lathe bed itself. May have to give that some thought... :)

Will---my two large bread pans work good for easier removal of mess of chips above the lathe chip tray---one is horizontal under the bed and the top one 90 degrees to bed reaches all the way to back wall---also works good if you drop tool or parts by pulling tray out to find easier----Dave
logan 200 (2).jpg

It's hard to clean up my PM1030V too, very tight. I have used three pans under it for a while because it's hard to clean up. The left two catch mess and the right one holds tools. This is one of the reasons I bought a 1440 due to the removable chip pan.

I could understand the use of these pans for smaller lathes that do not have a chip pan. Like fradish I used a dog cage pan for my old mini lathe as the entire lathe fit in it. It was thin galvanized steel though. It just didn't make sense to me to add chip pans if you already have a chip pan. But I could understand the use for making clean up easier.

Back