PM1340 - the Best & Jacobs Full Custom Edition

Wow David!

Just checked your flicker album, very impressive. Glad to see you used the channel for your stand too.

Thanks Paco. I couldn't have done it without your suggestions and encouragement. So thanks. BTW, I just saw your thread on the Rockwell/Delta sander rebuild - super nice job. I love seeing older machine restored to new glory. I also just tripped over the wheeled stand you did for that 3800 pound mill. Wow, I sure wish I could weld like you do. Very impressive. Is that Ironworker part of your shop setup?

David, yes that explains it very well. Great design. Just a couple of ideas: in keeping with the belt and suspenders approach why not add the extra set of three screws to secure the spider to the spindle. Will you be removing the spider very often?
Also, in my case for dialing in rifle barrels, it is very convenient to have the four spider screws lined up with the four jaws at the other end. That way both ends adjust in the same planes. Those knurled lock nuts are on my to do list.

Must say again that you and Mark are an ongoing inspiration, thank you!
Mike

Thanks Paco. I couldn't have done it without your suggestions and encouragement. So thanks. BTW, I just saw your thread on the Rockwell/Delta sander rebuild - super nice job. I love seeing older machine restored to new glory. I also just tripped over the wheeled stand you did for that 3800 pound mill. Wow, I sure wish I could weld like you do. Very impressive. Is that Ironworker part of your shop setup?

Thanks David,
Yes the 51 Ton (small) iron worker is part of the shops inventory and is used a bunch. That mill stand is mksj's and was fun to design/ build.
Again, nice work!

I think I have read this entire post 3 times (or more) and reviewed the images on flickr as well.

I thought I would be able to say something witty or clever but I'm just lost for words, you sir have done an amazing job on that lathe, I'm impressed beyond words can describe.

Thank you for taking the time to post your work and share it here.

David

Wow, what a beautiful enhancement job. Thanks for taking the time to document with so many pics & vids! I have a 1998 14x40 Taiwan distant uncle to this lathe, so I extracted many useful ideas from your mods & ideas. Couple questions:

- you have a different top-side handle for the carriage lock. I didn't quite get if that was ratcheted or just swings from loose to lock?

- did you modify the stock carriage locking mechanism in any way? (I'm talking about the underside foot or clamp part)

- did you see anything worth upgrading or modifying in terms of the power feed assembly? (ie. the worm gear assembly, the slotted power bar & related mechanism). I suspect my older gen lathe is different with a cast iron C bracket that the power bar loosely threads through. But there are no bushings or contact surfaces to accept thrust load while power feeding or anything to replace with wear. Maybe that's all fixed up with the PM, but I would love to see some pics of your lathe if you happen to have any handy from the rebuild. The PM parts manual PDF wasn't too clear on this & I'm looking for good ideas.

- how about the clutch & ball/spring assembly. Everything ok to your satisfaction or did you do some tweaks to that?

I am considering upgrading from my existing Rong Fu-45 (the original, not a clone) to a PM935. If I do that, I will get the non-variable speed model (never liked mechanical variable speed, plus do not have headroom in my basement for the extra height), and I will work with Mark Jacobs on a control package including VFD (assuming Mark is willing)....

PLEASE DO THIS! Selfish interest - I have an RF-45 as well

WOW.. Really ... WOW.

Thing of Beauty for sure... Wonderful craftsmanship!

This thread needs to be put on the top section - Sticky Threads - for everyone to see

Wow, that's the most tricked out lathe I have seen. Nice job on the cabinets, and little detail things. Nice set of holders and rack..

Well thanks everyone. Much appreciated. This was a fun project and a labor of love. I started off thinking I'd get a 24" bed length version of this 1340, Matt gave me a quote for it, and I was close to pulling the trigger, but everyone here said "longer is better." Who am I to argue with THAT !!?!?!?!

The lathe was not in stock when I ordered it, and came about three months later which was fine. Then it sat in my garage for a few months while I learned to weld, converted a bench to a welding table (https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidpbest/albums/72157672375283855), built a welding cart (https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidpbest/albums/72157671235486470), then tackled the stand construction (https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidpbest/albums/72157672474119185), and then decided to prove I was a REAL MAN capable of moving the lathe into the basement working along (https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidpbest/albums/72157671928399283). And I only lost a single finger in the process (http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...-bad-accident-end-mill-defeated-finger.56337/). In all seriousness, the finger loss was not related to any of the lathe work - just a stupid, stupid accident on the milling machine.

- you have a different top-side handle for the carriage lock. I didn't quite get if that was ratcheted or just swings from loose to lock?

- did you modify the stock carriage locking mechanism in any way? (I'm talking about the underside foot or clamp part)

The carriage lock on the stock machine is an M8 socket-head cap screw pulling up on a threaded steel plate that locks against the bottom of the front bed way. Several others here have posted about converting this to some kind of lever locking mechanism, and I decided to do the same. I'm a big fan of Kipp adjustable lever handles, so that's what I employed. If you look at this photo (https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidpbest/32194862321/in/album-72157672547607804/) and the next few, you'll see what I did. I didn't have to make any modification to the clamping plate under the carriage, I just bought a low profile Kipp lever with male 50mm long M8 threaded stud (http://estore.jwwinco.com/default.aspx?page=item detail&itemcode=8N50A32/D), turned a replacement stainless steel handle for it that matched the other handles I made (purely cosmetic), then turned a stainless cover for the body of the lever mechanism (ultra cosmetic).

- did you see anything worth upgrading or modifying in terms of the power feed assembly? (ie. the worm gear assembly, the slotted power bar & related mechanism). I suspect my older gen lathe is different with a cast iron C bracket that the power bar loosely threads through. But there are no bushings or contact surfaces to accept thrust load while power feeding or anything to replace with wear. Maybe that's all fixed up with the PM, but I would love to see some pics of your lathe if you happen to have any handy from the rebuild. The PM parts manual PDF wasn't too clear on this & I'm looking for good ideas.

Well, I definitely discovered some quirks. Probably worth noting here, but Matt at QMT was quick to get things resolved. Here are the quirks - all probably unique to my machine:

The power feed for the carriage is driven through the QC gearbox. Photo:
IMG_5079.jpg

Where that feed drive gear shaft exits the QC gearbox housing, it runs through a bronze bearing pressed into the housing that's lubed from the drip oil system above (just under the switch panel). Photo once shaft and gear train was removed and the bushing cleaned and polished - you can see the oil drip hole in the bushing (fed by a tiny copper tube from above) and spiral grooves to distribute the oil:

IMG_5207.jpg

From the other side:

IMG_5210.jpg

On my machine, the bushing was bound up with what looked like black tar, and was probably paint or filler overspray that got into that mechanism at the factory, heated up and froze the drive shaft. The result was that any kind of power feed would start for a few seconds, then stall as speed increased, and the change/treading gears would grind. In the process of diagnosing the problem, I pretty much stripped/chipped all the the available change gears - the large combo, and the four smaller gears. Once I figured out that the gear shaft coming through the bushing in the housing was the problem, it was about 3 hours work to pull that shaft, get the bushing cleaned out, reassemble the shaft and the gear train on it, get it lubed, and running again. Matt had the factory direct-ship me replacement change (threading) gears which came in a few days and all was fine after that.

If I have any criticism here, it's that the oil for that bronze bushing is fed from a drip point above that's easy to miss. That's what drove me to put in a new single point oil pump and distribution system for the QC gear box. That stock QC gearbox oil drip system is pretty lame IMO, especially when the power feed shaft really depends on lube from above to not over heat and freeze up. Of course, if I were designing this lathe, that shaft would be on a precision permanently lubed titanium bearing. But this is not NASA.

That power feed shaft coming out of the QC gearbox drives a hub clutch with two balls on springs on one side, and a drive plate with dimpled recesses on the other. Drive plate photo:

IMG_5212.jpg

Drive hub with balls and springs:

IMG_5080.jpg

IMG_5081.jpg

It took a while to get that dialed in so the carriage wouldn't start stuttering as the clutch slipped during heavy roughing operation on stainless steel. The ball bearings are tensioned with set screws, so dialing in the clutch tension is not a big deal - just trial and error.

IMG_5083.jpg

The shaft that articulates the forward/reverse switches in the box below the power feed shaft, has a steel paddle secured to the shaft that triggers the two switches. That whole mechanism inside that box is like working on a wristwatch - fussy tolerances, tiny screws (4-40 BTW, not metric), spacers, washers, opposing nuts, etc holding the switches in precise position, etc. If you take it apart, take a bunch of photos first to know how to put it back together.

The cross slide on my lathe came with a really strange distance ring that wasn't just metric, it really belonged on some other kind of machine entirely. The cross slide screw was imperial, worked like you'd expect, but the ring with the mm and inch markings had no correspondence to the distance moved when turning the handle. Again, an email to Matt got this quickly resolved with a direct ship replacement of the threaded shaft, dials and bronze nut - complete assembly - in a couple of days.

Hope this helps.

IMG_5083.jpg

David,

If you would like to get together some time I can give you some pointers. I've been mig welding for a long time and have it down pretty good. I also have some skills with the tig, though I'm no expert by any means. It helps to get hands on help, seeing through the hood. It would also give me a chance to see that pimped out lathe in person.

Dan

Hi David
Mind boggling
Couple of questions
Where did your get the ER40 collet chuck with the D1-4
What size chuck guard did you get?

Howard

Back