PM1236T Installation in Basement

I’ve had some more time to play with the lathe and found a shortcoming I didn’t expect. I mostly do things in metric and am currently working on making some machinist jacks. I used M12x1.75 for the body thread since I have that tap size. When I went to turn the threads on the jack screw, surprise, no 1.75mm thread setting! After a bit of head scratching, I remembered there is a thread chart in Excel on the PM website for this and the 1340GT lathes. I downloaded that and made some tables showing the different combinations of change gears and the threads they will produce. I found I can use an undocumented combination of 32/40 with the transposing gears to give me 1.75mm, it also gives 3.5mm and 0.8mm that are also missing.

Attached is the tables I made for the different combinations, the cells in yellow are the thread pitches that were not exact, but should be close enough. Some of the thread pitches are duplicated with the different gear combinations, I left them in there so that I might not have to change the gears as often if I am doing a variety of thread sizes.

Attachments

• PM-1236T-and-1340GT-Thread-Chart.pdf
    221 KB · Views: 122
Great Idea using the Flat bed to get the lathe down there... Love it....

What Glue did you use for the LVL beam for the stand...?
Bessy K-Clamps are all I use - The Jet clones flex way too much.

Great Idea using the Flat bed to get the lathe down there... Love it....

What Glue did you use for the LVL beam for the stand...?
Bessy K-Clamps are all I use - The Jet clones flex way too much.
I used Titebond Ultimate, the glue is stronger than the wood. I love my Bessey clamps, I won’t buy anything else. Two years later and still going strong, not a single issue with it, other than being a bit taller than I would like. I might cut it a little bit shorter when I get around to moving it to a different spot in the basement, I need to seal the floor in that area first and didn’t get a round to it last year. I’m thinking of adding some lead shot in the sides of the base to give it some more mass, if I am turning something off center, it does shake a bit, but nothing worrisome.

I used the flat bed to get my mill down there too about 10 years ago, so easy it almost feels like cheating. I’m still on the hunt for a surface grinder, so depending on how heavy it is, might try the wrecker winch the driver recommended next time.

lol most people don't get how strong that beam is, check out Roo Glue if you haven't seen this product... they make the best melamine adhesives and their wood glue is amazing... I like Titebond as well.

Pretty stand, good work Sir....

lol most people don't get how strong that beam is, check out Roo Glue if you haven't seen this product... they make the best melamine adhesives and their wood glue is amazing... I like Titebond as well.

Pretty stand, good work Sir....
Thanks, I’ll take a look for Roo Glue, I never heard of that one before.

Before making the stand, I ran the calculations on the strength and deflection of the beam and it was equivalent to a C channel section of the same size, so I was confident it would work, but there were some skeptical people here when they first saw my pictures.

Back