PM1022V New to Me!

USMCDOC

Registered
Registered
Just picked this lathe up on Saturday.. His girlfriend had just moved out and she had the gear cover and he forgot to give me the 4 jaw chuck.. supposed to be getting that from him this week sometime.. i have been working with it since Sat.. it appears that have removed the tapper, have the backlash down to about 3K on the compound and lead screw. i will have to do something with the tailstock.. it appears that it is too high.. so i guess i will be milling the bottom a tad to get it right.
20170605_185747.jpg

Nice find! Before you mill the tailstock down you may want to wait until someone here chimes in due to the how and why of tailstock setup. Seems that I remember a smidge high is better then low.

I will do that then.. thanks for the tip bro!
Nice find! Before you mill the tailstock down you may want to wait until someone here chimes in due to the how and why of tailstock setup. Seems that I remember a smidge high is better then low.

How high is it? Many new lathes come withbthe TS slightly high intentionally, to account for wear over time.

If not manufactured wrong, the tailstock is usually made to sit slightly higher than spindle bore so that when locking the tailstock it is brought down to match that of the spindle bore. Some 'gunsmith' advertised lathes actually have a square drive in the tailstock so that a torque wrench can be used to control/repeat the tailstock height for critical operations. Grizzly has a couple of lathes like this if I recall correctly.

Ok.. took it apart.. there was some junk under there.. now when it is all tight.. there is a tad over a thou

7 thou would raise a red flag, 1 thou, perfectly normal. Continue on enjoying your new lathe!

Back