• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

PM1022V New to Me!

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

USMCDOC

Just picked this lathe up on Saturday.. His girlfriend had just moved out and she had the gear cover and he forgot to give me the 4 jaw chuck.. supposed to be getting that from him this week sometime.. i have been working with it since Sat.. it appears that have removed the tapper, have the backlash down to about 3K on the compound and lead screw. i will have to do something with the tailstock.. it appears that it is too high.. so i guess i will be milling the bottom a tad to get it right. 20170605_185747.jpg

tweinke

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Nice find! Before you mill the tailstock down you may want to wait until someone here chimes in due to the how and why of tailstock setup. Seems that I remember a smidge high is better then low.

USMCDOC

I will do that then.. thanks for the tip bro!
Nice find! Before you mill the tailstock down you may want to wait until someone here chimes in due to the how and why of tailstock setup. Seems that I remember a smidge high is better then low.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
How high is it? Many new lathes come withbthe TS slightly high intentionally, to account for wear over time.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
If not manufactured wrong, the tailstock is usually made to sit slightly higher than spindle bore so that when locking the tailstock it is brought down to match that of the spindle bore. Some 'gunsmith' advertised lathes actually have a square drive in the tailstock so that a torque wrench can be used to control/repeat the tailstock height for critical operations. Grizzly has a couple of lathes like this if I recall correctly.

USMCDOC

Ok.. took it apart.. there was some junk under there.. now when it is all tight.. there is a tad over a thou

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
7 thou would raise a red flag, 1 thou, perfectly normal. Continue on enjoying your new lathe!

USMCDOC

You know.. when i was setting this machine up and cleaning it.. i never even thought about taking that apart in the beginning.. lesson learned there! Really, leave no stone un-turned!

USMCDOC

Gear retainer just broke while workin the lathe.. the gears lucky didn't slam the floor!

20170630_152344.jpg

tweinke

Active User
Bummer, looks like you will be giving QMT a call if you cant fix that.

tweinke

Active User
I will bet you will hear back soon on the email. Being a holiday weekend might have been no one around?

USMCDOC

Never have gotten the gear cover from the guy that i bought it from.. i don't think that i ever will.. But i am going to a match in the morning.. there is anther guy that is a hobby machinist, his room is awesome.. so i am going to see if he will make me some extras to get me back on track.. with a better steel to boot!

USMCDOC

Todd,

i suspected that is the case.. but it would have been better if there had been a message saying that they were going to close early or what ever

5 7