PM1022 or SB1001 Lathes

Ray,

Going back to the Grizzly site I see their SB1002 lathe is about what you are talking about. I had totally overlooked this model as it's $5,000 price puts it up with Chinese lathes that are way bigger than any I had contemplated. But for the same money the PM-1340GT seems to be twice the machine with similar quality.

Against the cheaper competition, the only market for a $5,000 10" lathe would be for one with modern features such as not only DC variable speed drive but also ball screws and servo motors to eliminate the gear changes altogether, have a total range of feeds and threads and be set up for CNC operation like the PM-45M-CNC mill.

For now I think I will look seriously at Bill's recommendation of the PM1127 lathe. From the delivery horror story on another thread it looks like there may be a last batch on the way.

By all means, the SB1002 is a good, well made piece of equipment and if I were the "Jay Leno" of shop equipment, I'd have one. To many people, it's light weight (ease of portability) is worth the money. As far as capabilities and functionality vs a 1340GT, the little SB is out-gunned by 10:1. As far as new production manual lathes are concerned -and in it's quality/price/weight range, the 1340GT is king of the hill -no question about it.

A long time ago, when I purchased my 1236, I was on the fence about the 1340. At the time, I was just a weekend metal-head and the 1236 was the right choice. My situation has changed and the 1340GT or the 1440HD would better suit my needs now; the main differentiator being ease of gear changes on both machines and in the case of the 1440HD, an extra 1000lbs of mass. The 1340 is the smoothest of them all -nice attention to detail.

The closest to what a model maker might appreciate (and that is currently in production) is something like a Republic http://www.lagun.com/high-precision-lathes.php The same units are also sold by Eisen. They aren't cheap with price tags starting around 15 grand and going up to 30+. They're not lightweight by any means; these are Hardinge knock-offs. Sharp has a line of these too (from a different factory) and they're supposedly closer to the original Hardinge's. I don't even bother to price these things since it's not going to happen in my lifetime... They are virtually impossible to find on the used market. Replacement bearings cost more than most people's cars.

This is a little outside the realm of Hobby discussion so, I'll end it there...

Ray

Quick update. My PM1022 arrived today.

Ken
DSC_0257 resized.jpg

DSC_0257 resized.jpg

Very nice! Did you get a stand, or are you going to put it on a bench?

Bill

Thanks Bill,

I am planning on doing what you did and mount it on a tool box. The Chinese small lathe stands I have seen were flimsy and I need the space underneath for storage. My plan was to get the machine home and clean it up and take it apart if I needed to finish what the factory didn't. I first inspection it looks pretty good so I might just flush out the gearbox with new oil.

I am now reading the milling machine posts with interest.

Ken

The tool box idea worked well for me, as space is limited and I also needed storage. I thought a 40" box would be big enough, but mine is quickly filling with 'stuff'. :))

Bill

Back