PM turning tools

Thanks Jon, I just got this set so I'll be watching this thread.

Those look similar to the ones from latheinserts.com, which are fantastic.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Those tools use CCMT/CCGT inserts that fit into SCLCR and SCLCL tool holders. This geometry has a 5 degree positive lead and will allow you to face and turn without moving the tool angle. It is one of the most popular configurations around and works well. You will especially like the CCGT AK inserts on aluminum; they do not cut as well as a good HSS tool will but its close.

Note also that the CCMT inserts have chipbreakers that work best with a healthy cut, at least 0.020" deep. They will take shallower cuts but the cutting forces are higher and you get more deflection. My lathe cannot go faster than 2500 rpm so I can't use these geometries to their full effect but they work pretty good.

Thanks Jon, I just got this set so I'll be watching this thread.
I would really love to have a first-hand evaluation of this set! After you have used it, it would be great if you gave us all a review. I've been looking at a Micro 100 Dex set that is priced at $319.99 USD on sale in the 02-01-17 Travers Tool flyer. I've always been very happy with the quality of my purchases from Precision Matthews - lathe, chuck, tool-post etc... . So, I'm thinking this may be a very good deal.

Cheers,

Old Squire

Tahlequah, OK / Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma

I purchased this set with my PM1340GT. I have no previous experience with insert tooling. With that said, I have been pleased with the set. The screws seem fine and the inserts so far seem ok. The aluminum inserts seem to work very well.

Like I said I have no experience with the higher end insert holders so I'm not sure what the differences may be. I just purchased a second set so that I could have one set up for aluminum and one for steel. I also just received some higher end inserts that MKSJ recommended to me. They do seem to be an upgrade from those included in the kit, but the ones in the kit are certainly serviceable.

For the price, this set seems like a very good value.

I purchased the 1/2" set from latheinserts.com and have been extremely happy with it. Don't know if Matt's is the same or not though.

Finally got done hemming and hawing, Just clicked buy it now so I guess I will know soon.

I just received the AXA master set from PM. I have not needed to use them yet but, the inserts nest into the holders nicely with the exception of one.....it was a bit tight but, nested fine. I'm pleased with my set.

I have the BXA size set and used it enough now to say they are quite good for the price. I am glad that I have them. Add threading and cutoff capability and you are set with the fundamentals. I would definitely buy again.

Back