PM lathe guys - help me decide between 1228 and 1236

BFHammer

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Im getting ready to purchase my first metal lathe. At this point I am close to information overload - I have read every thread and watched every YouTube video I can find.

I'm new to the machining hobby and it is a hobby - it doesn't pay any of the bills. I'm an experienced woodworker and woodturner and have some experience with welding and metal fab. My uses for the lathe will be small projects/parts and really just building my machining skills. I don't do any gunsmithing/barrel work.

My most recent leaning has been to the 1228 first and foremost because of the variable speed and also because I don't need the extra capacity. Although looking at the two packages the outfitted 1228 will essentially be very close in price to the 1236 package.

For you 1228 users what shortcomings does it have - what would you like it to do that it won't or what does it struggle with. Do you find it not rigid or powerful enough for facing, parting, knurling?

For the 1236 guys how much would you prefer VFD (soft start, better control, smoother)? I've seen a lot of threads about converting the 1236 but I really don't want to buy it with an immediate project on the to do list. Not to mention the extra $.

Thanks in advance for your input - all comments are welcome, I have learned so much already here just lurking and reading - looking forward to gaining some experience so maybe I can contribute to the conversation.

I've had a PM1236 for about 8 yrs now. I have a documented thread about it here. Although a VFD would be nice I still haven't gone through with the upgrade. I do have a nice motor sitting around that I could use but I've been getting along just fine. I know when I do the upgrade I will tell myself "why did I wait so long". What I'm saying is that you don't need to convert it right away or if at all. Plenty of guys like me are not using VFD. Spend your money on the necessities first, that I am still doing!

BFHammer,

I have been thinking about the same two machines. I believe the 1236 is actually a little cheaper than the 1228 by the time you add a 4-jaw chuck, QCTP, and stand to the 1228. I plan on doing a decent amount of small work on mine, so am thinking the 1228 with variable speed (for quick adjustability) and belt drive(for surface finish) will work better for me.

John

No dog in the fight here but my Sherline lathe has both variable speed and feed and it is well worth it to have the variable speed. Cutting on the lathe is largely a function of speeds and feeds and infinite control of one or both parameters is a major deal. You can dial in a cut so precisely that it isn't funny, not to mention the better finish.

Bed length does matter but if the spindle bore is large enough for your needs then you might get away with the shorter lathe. My Emco has a 1-3/8" bore and is only 25" center to center but its good enough for most of what I do.

My 11"Emco lathe doesn't have variable speed yet but, like Will, I have the motor; just lacking the motivation because my available speeds/feeds work fine for now. One day, though, one day ...

Thanks for the comments guys.

Mickey- I can relate regarding the variable speed with my experience with Woodturning. I upgraded my wood lathe a couple of years ago to a lathe with 2HP 220v 3ph w/VFD and it's amazing. I would not want to go back.

I have owned my 1236 for almost 2 years. I upgraded it to VFD/3 Phase about 9 months ago. The upgrade (in my particular case) cost about $650 (I think).
Overall, the machine is very good. I experienced some surface finish issues early on, and the VFD install was instrumental in resolving it.

Like most other Chinese tools I have owned, it required a bit of "tuning" to get it up to speed. I can state comfortably that it required much less "tuning" than my previous Green lathe did.

I also own the PM 932 mill, & it required almost no "tuning".

I just re-read the specs for both the 1228 & 1236, & my recommendation is to go 1236 with preferred package. My reasoning is as follows:
1. QCTP included
2. 4-Jaw chuck included
3. Base included
4. Coolant system included
5. More than twice as much weight
6. Longer bed

Hope this is of some value in your decision making.
Jerry in Delaware

Jerry,

I think your right on point - the 1236 is a great value for a little bigger heavier lathe.

Struggling with my inexperience trying to compare apples to oranges between the gear drive vs the variable speed. I appreciate you sharing the info on your upgrade cost and experience - that is helpful.

Go long! I always end up needing a longer lathe. (well, when I do something long)

I've had a pm1236, for about 9 months and its an excellent machine. A friend of mine has a pm1340gt, the construction is very similar between the 2, when settung up yhe machine, Bill mentioned if he'd known the qualitybof the 1236 was as good as it is on mine, he may have bought it instead of his 1340gt. Overall I'm not sure you could get a better machine for the same price anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Reactions: jer
Chris - glad you're liking your 1236. I have about convinced myself that it's too great a value to pass up. As Darkzero pointed out I can upgrade to variable speed later if I feel the need.

Back