1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Pm-940m-cnc (pre-assembled)

Discussion in 'PRECISION-MATTHEWS' started by fugawii, Jul 23, 2016.

1. fugawii

fugawii United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Onida
    State:
    South Dakota

-Return to Top-

Hi. I am a new forum member. Great forum. Great members. Great advice. I'd like to start a thread for PM-940M CNC owners. There's not a lot of model specific help out there for this machine. Is there anyone else out there that has one of these and could share some Mach 3 settings? The set up manual that comes with it is translated and hard to decipher. Here are some links and files that have helped me so far. I'm not 100% operational yet. I'm finding a lot of conflicting pins/port numbers between the various model numbers.

Attached Files:

2. fugawii

City:
    Onida
    State:
    South Dakota

-Return to Top-

3. TomS

TomS Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Redding
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

There are a several of us that have bought/converted PM-45's, PM-932's and a few PM-940's so there's a large base of knowledge that you can tap into to make your build go easier. Most are running Mach 3 with a few running other control software.

I have a PM-932 that I converted about 1-1/2 years ago. I'd be more than happy to share my setup files and screen shots. Let me know what you need help with and I'll post them.

Tom S.

Old Squier, mikey and fugawii like this.
  4. fugawii

City:
    Onida
    State:
    South Dakota

-Return to Top-

Thanks TomS. I appreciate it. I have about a week of wheat harvest left. Once that is out of the way I will me able to dedicate more than a few minutes each morning to the mill. I have everything functioning except the spindle. I'm getting closer!

TomS and wrmiller like this.
  5. JimFouch

JimFouch United States Steel Registered Member

City:
    Erie
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

I also have a PM-940M-CNC I got at the end of last year. I managed to break it down into small enough pieces to have about 5-6 friends help me move it into my basement. I'm still working on getting it all set up the way I want it. I did have to reduce the limits on the travel of the Z-axis due to my ceiling height. I lost about 1" of travel. But, to have it located inside where I can use it year round is worth it.

fugawii likes this.
  6. fugawii

City:
    Onida
    State:
    South Dakota

-Return to Top-

Arrrgh. I still can't get this spindle to turn. FWD & REW lights up on the VFD in the cabinet when i toggle spindle. Could someone share some screenshots of their Mach3 settings for the PM-940M-CNC? I am using Windows 7, Mach3, VFD, USB connection to the Jamen controller card. I've emailed Precision Matthews and they sent me the .pdf's in my first post(sigh). Do i need to do any setup on the VFD? While i appreciate the self-education on Mach 3 and JNC-40M, it seems to me they would have much happier customers if they included a Mach3 setup file on the CD they ship it with. At the very least some customer support would be appreciated. Deciphering and decoding the JNC-40M controller manual is kicking my butt.

7. profmason

profmason United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    walnut
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

8. fugawii

City:
    Onida
    State:
    South Dakota

-Return to Top-

I sent an email to Precision Matthews asking about the VFD. I just received a reply from Greg at Precision Matthews. Matt is on vacation for the next week and is still unavailable. He claims no setup to the VFD is required.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  9. RogerC

RogerC United States Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Medina
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

Just ran across this thread. I also have a PM-940M-CNC. I have removed the stock controller and replaced it with an ESS controller which has made setup easier. I am also able to do backlash compensation in Mach3 with the ESS, whereas I was unable to get it to do anything with the JNC controller. If anyone has questions I will try and help.

fugawii likes this.
  10. cut2cut

cut2cut United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Seattle
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

I should be getting a new PM-940-CNC-VS from Precision Mathews / Quality Machine Tools in the coming weeks. I will contribute my experience here so others can benefit as much as I have from the posts already made. ( Huge thanks to the guys that posted their Mach3 setup tutorials for the closely related PM-45M-CNC mentioned above. )

I'm somewhat experienced with Mach3 and have converted a smaller mill to CNC. At some point I expect to move to a Mesa Controller and use LinuxCNC via Ethernet. Also after ensuring everything works I will likely remove the electronics box from the rear of the column so I can build an enclosure for chip and coolant containment. I will share my experience here.

One initial question regarding the need for a ? 28mm ? spline wrench for tightening and loosening the drawbar. I have looked online and could not find one available to purchase. Is there a source for this that others have found ?

Happy New Year !

Jake D.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    fugawii likes this.
  11. jbolt

jbolt United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

You PM-940-CNC owners be sure to post lots of pictures of you machines. We like pictures. Get under the hood too. Some of us are curious how these are put together.

Ironken and fugawii like this.
  12. davidpbest

davidpbest Active Member Active Member

City:
    Portland
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

What is a PM-940-CNC? There is absolutely nothing about it at the QMT web site.

13. cut2cut

City:
    Seattle
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

I had inquired Precision Mathews/Quatlity Machine Tools about the PM-45CNC and he sent pictures of the PM-940 CNC which got me to inquire further. Thats the way I happened upon it. I suppose the 940 is a low volume seller due to it weighing more and being a larger footprint and therefore isn't as important to advertise ? By the way, Matt has been stellar answering pre sales questions, which helped me greatly to decide which model fit my needs.

Cheers,

Jake

14. cut2cut

City:
    Seattle
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  15. RogerC

RogerC United States Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Medina
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

16. davidpbest

City:
    Portland
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

Nice photo. Thanks. Exactly what is "CNC" about it - compared to the non-CNC version? Where are the specs?

17. cut2cut

City:
    Seattle
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

This is what Matt sent me as far as specs of the PM940-CNC and PM940-CNC-VS

Cheers,

Jake

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  18. davidpbest

City:
    Portland
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

Thank you. Lots of people research and make decisions on machine purchases without ever talking to Matt. For the life of me, I don't understand why he doesn't have his complete catalog on the web. At least two users who contacted me about a benchtop CNC mill decided to buy a Tormach because "PM doesn't sell a CNC version of the PM940" - if it isn't on the web site, it doesn't exist in their mind - or my mind either.

19. phazertwo

phazertwo United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Thornton
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

I'm pretty much set on a PM-940 CNC at this point, and I also stumbled upon it the same, he sent me the info after I inquired about the PM-45M CNC. You would think they would update the website. A benchtop CNC mill that has the travel of the 940 is hard to pass up for the price. I was leaning Tormach before I found out about the 940, which means I can get a mill with more travel sooner.

Anyway, I just need to figure out when I can actually receive the mill. I got the same quote that said he had a few in stock on Jan 5, I would like to get my name on one of them, hopefully I can figure out when/where to pick it up.

PZ

20. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Matt has said they will be launching a new website sometime in the near future. I'm guessing the current site is getting minimal maintenance while they work on the new one.

21. cut2cut

City:
    Seattle
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

I found a 28mm spline wrench at "little machine shop", I think it's the right size for the Pm940's drawbar but not 100% sure ....

Jake

22. qualitymachinetools

qualitymachinetools United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Pittsburgh
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

This web site is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, but it seems to be getting there, never realized how much work it would be! There are 7 of us working on it, and still takes so long. Just taking the pictures of each machine have been going on for a year, not even thinking about getting it to work. And of course, nothing could do it how I wanted, so had to have things changed around, I am certainly not a programmer, had to have that done by others.

23. fugawii

City:
    Onida
    State:
    South Dakota

-Return to Top-

20170114_115338.jpg 20170114_115644.jpg
    I made my own drawbar wrench (very first part i cut) from this link. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bench...-rf-45-industrial-hobbies-spanner-wrench.html
    It works great and i used it for a month before buidling my own flip down style spindle lock. It sure eliminates the need for a third hand when using keyless chucks or endmills in collets.
    Here's a few pics. 20161204_094404.jpg 20161205_164257.jpg 20161205_164336.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    cut2cut likes this.
  24. fugawii

City:
    Onida
    State:
    South Dakota

-Return to Top-

I have no love for the Jamen interface card. I am a noob at all this, but the controller sure made the learning and setup process extra difficult. The manual it comes with is not the greatest. There must be a lost in the translation to English. I've emailed the board's manufacturer a few times. No response. Here's a pic of the JNC-40M
    20161103_111041.jpg
    Which Smoothstepper did you go with? Are you using a breakout board? I'm kicking around the idea of swapping it out for this combo. http://www.cncroom.com/interface-board-mach3-mach4/smooth-stepper-ess-mb2-bob

25. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I have the PMDX-126 BoB, PMDX-107 spindle control & ESS combo on my PM-932 CNC conversion. I am extremely pleased with this setup. PMDX support is top tier.

fugawii likes this.
  26. DvCnewt

DvCnewt United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Adairsville
    State:
    Georgia

-Return to Top-

I also bought a Pm-940m-cnc a little over a year ago. I was finally able to get most settings figured out. Just gave up on the pendant controls though.
    The last problem I have yet to figure out is the actual e-stop button on machine doesn't work as should. I believe it might be the input on the Jamen board is bad.
    I gave up on messing with the mill for several months now. Time to get back to it.

27. phazertwo

phazertwo United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Thornton
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

28. fugawii

City:
    Onida
    State:
    South Dakota

-Return to Top-

I didn't care for the pendant at all. Setup was too frustrating using the translated Jamen manual. I emailed Precision Matthews about it 6 months ago. Said they'd send me a USB one. That was 6 months ago... I bought a wireless hand held USB pendant mpg on Amazon. Works great. Easy set up. The instruction manual was decent for an import. An installer and a couple files to drop into the Mach3 folder and it was up and running. Link to wireless mpg. https://www.amazon.com/SHINA-Wirele...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PJ2SDC4G5H69QC6KT57P

Pic of wireless mpg top and stock mpg below it.
    20170114_123835.jpg

On my machine the e-stop is orange wire (087) to pin (I11) on the JNC board. Port 1, Pin 11, active low. That's all I had to do on this one. It saw a lot of use the first month. LOL
    E-stop.JPG

29. DvCnewt

DvCnewt United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Adairsville
    State:
    Georgia

-Return to Top-

I like the look of the wireless mpg. Might have to look into getting one of those.
    My machine has a red wire labeled 087 to pin I11 on board. The other end of wire is connected on the bottom of terminal strip along with another larger gauge wire also red and labeled 087. There is no wire connected to top of terminal above it.
    I did find an orange wire but not connected to anything.
    My setting in Mach3 is same. Port 1, pin 11, active low. E-stop on machine not working.

30. cut2cut

City:
    Seattle
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

(Edit) It sounds like the orange wire is the culprit. You could verify this by opening the box that houses the E-stop button itself to see if that orange wire is connected to the E -stop. If all else fails try wiring the E stop directly to the Jamen controller card, to test it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017