PM-935 Tramming and other questions.

I trimmed down the mounting hardware yesterday, they fit really nice, but the vise is not square. I ended up installing one with the trimmed part to the front and the other to the back and It's now 3 thousands off.

But, I made a mistake and have another problem. I had locked the knee down when I finished I went to lower the knee and heard the motor drive drag. I loosened the locks and the knee dropped a little now I hear and feel a clunk about ever half turn of the knee crank. I have a hard time believing that something got damaged. I'm thinking more along the lines that when the knee dropped a piece of garbage got knocked loose and fell into the gears.

I took the motor drive off to eliminate anything there causing the problem, I could still feel the clunk. I tried to feel the gears for damage or debris nothing, but after doing that the clunking has got much better but still there.

Any thoughts on this problem.

Assuming your ways are properly lubed, if the knee stutters (“clunk, clunk”) when it is being lowered, that’s an indication of a poorly adjusted gib, or the gib has not been properly fitted to the knee/column dovetail ways. This may help:

It's not the knee stuttering and clunking the gibs are lubed well. I can feel it in the gears I believe or a bad bearing. The thing is I never felt it before I tried to move the knee when it was locked. And it was only just a second or so before I shut it off and unlocked the gibs. It's better now that I got in there feeling for damage or debris in the gears. Is it possible to remove the gears without disassembling the whole thing? I may just try and clean them in place a little better to see if I see anything wrong.

Very well. If the issue appears only when lowering the knee then it’s probably the gib. If it appears when raising the knee, it could be the knee elevation mechanism. If you want info on how to pull the knee elevation shaft to access the pinion gears and bearing, I have posted about this as part of my power feed installs which you can find here (the knee is toward the end of the series). Each photo has a description worth reading.

Thank you David, I'm headed to the shop in a bit. I know for sure I can feel it on the way down, every turn. I'll report back later.

Tim

Back