PM-932M-PDF Manual gearhead controll

Ratz

Active User
Registered
Hi everyone.
<o:p</o
As described in the other thread, I made no secrets that I did not like handle to move gear head on my PM-932M-PDF.
This project took longer then I expected mostly dreaming up shapes of brackets, adjustment of chain tension and waiting for components ordered on eBay.
Today after experimenting with different sprocket ratios, I found 12 teeth on 1 to 1 AnglGear and 30 teeth on gear head shaft to be reasonably satisfactory.
Turning the wheel is effortless and control of gear head movement is smooth enough to slowly dial 0.0002 increment, standing in front of the mill, comfortably watching the DRO.
Here is a short video:

http://www3.telus.net/oceanready/PM-932M-PDFgearheadcontroll.avi

One full turn of the wheel moves gear head 0.047” and the wheel is 9.5” in diameter. The shaft from the wheel to the gear is 5/8” W-1 drill rod. If I would do it again I would opted ¾” as I can feel slight torsion twisting. I may even change that one day. I will likely make a dial on the wheel, but I may still play with the ratio in the future.
Should someone wish to duplicate this modification, be aware that in PDF mode wheel will turn as it is directly connected to the shaft.
Next thing will be to make a mold and lay up fiberglass cover for the chain, to keep the chips out.
Regards to all,
Radek

PM-932M-PDF Manual gearhead controll 001.jpg

PM-932M-PDF Manual gearhead controll 003.jpg

PM-932M-PDF Manual gearhead controll 001.jpg PM-932M-PDF Manual gearhead controll 003.jpg

Last edited:
Back