PM 833T Weirdness

INTJ

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I hope this is the final installment in the saga of my 833T. A couple years ago, the machine was tipped over during moving and it landed on the x-axis screw. The machine then went into storage, and a few months ago I got around to ordering a new x-axis screw and some other small parts. I got it fixed. Even the TPAC Tools DRO still worked.

I didn't replace the x-axis nut. The old one looked fine and it looked hard to get to. My only issue was there was about .080" backlash in the x-axis.

So today I decided to try and replace the a-axis nut. I started into it but couldn't figure out how they could have even got the nut in place unless they had some special tools. The nut is bolted to the mill base with a pair of 6mm head allen bolts. However, the clearance is tight. So I found a spare 6mm Allen wrench and cut it short. I managed to work it into the allen head screw and found it was loose. Both allen bolts were loose.

To expose the mounting bolts for the nut I had to grind a little on the table to get enough clearance. I debated doing this, but after seeing the mounting bolts were loose I decided I needed to.

So I got the new nut in place. lined up as good as I could, and bolted it down. I got everything back together and there is not any excessive backlash. I have an Align power feed and it runs like it always has.

The only thing that bothers me a bit is the x-axis screw is in a little bit of a bind. Meaning it won't line up exactly centered on each end. Now that doesn't seem to affect anything, but it does seem unusual. I tried several things to line it up to no avail. Of course, who knows if even the new screw is exactly straight, and I suppose over time it might work into shape.

The weird:

1. The a-axis nut mounting bolts were loose since the mill was new. That might explain the "lift" I would get at the extreme end of table travel
2. I had to grind on the table to expose the x-axis nut
3. The x-axis screw won't align perfectly

I am not a machinist. I have had this mill about 4 years along with my PM 134GT lathe. Do any of those things seem unusual?

I have shop-built hex-keys in various configurations to get at the otherwise inaccessible bolts associated with the XY split nuts on my PM-935. I think this is SOP.

I called PM today. @davidpbest is correct. The tight clearance and special tools is indeed a thing.

The PM guy (Mike I think?) said the first thing to check when seeing excessive X-Axis backlash is the nut flange bolts. He said that was probably the cause of the lift I would get at the end of travel.

He also said my approach of grinding the underside of the table for clearance works well too.

As to the misaligned x-axis screw, he said to make sure I have the end caps on correctly (I do) but it might just need to wear in a bit. Regardless he doesn't think it's a huge deal.

See my post about special allen wrench ratchet for the PM833

Ariel

Back