PM-833T EDUCATED QUILL STOP

I am looking at the factory plate as well and hesitate to remove the spindle -- any advise on this is appreciated.

Regarding paint, I just picked a paint at SW ("Light French Gray") that turned out to be reasonable close if that is any help. Compare the parallel surfaces in the picture (mill and mill stand -- not chip tray) and you get an idea.

Attachments

• IMG_0934.JPG
    IMG_0934.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0932.JPG
    IMG_0932.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 95
I had put one of those stops on my Jet mill. Really like the quick movement and then ease of fine adjust.
When I made my old drill press into something a bit better I put one of those on it also. Not as elegant looking as yours though.

I am looking at the factory plate as well and hesitate to remove the spindle -- any advise on this is appreciated.

Regarding paint, I just picked a paint at SW ("Light French Gray") that turned out to be reasonable close if that is any help. Compare the parallel surfaces in the picture (mill and mill stand -- not chip tray) and you get an idea.
I am in discussions with the "Machine DRO" company in England right now. They have a box that will allow summing of Z-Axis DRO and Quill using the same type of magnetic scales for each. I am looking to incorporate both in the build.

After looking at the exploded schematics on pm.com, it does look like the spindle needs to come out, but I don't THINK it needs disassembly once the spindle unit slides out the bottom of the head. I think the toughest part will be undoing the quill spring assembly, and then getting it back to tension.

Oh man, thank you so much for pointing out that educated nut! The factory thread-stop on my bridgeport-clone is the most annoying thing in the world. I've been using it a bunch lately, but taking 20 minutes to roll it up and down is super annoying. I have one of those spring-loaded ones, but it isn't accurate enough sometimes to get a consistent stop.

Did you have to cut off the original plate? or disassemble the quill?
Great job!

I am in the process of doing basically this, with inspiration from this and another similar thread. You DO have to remove the quill to get the stock part off in one piece (or cut it off). i was a bit nervous about it, but it turned out to be less of a hassle than i expected pretty easy really. My new version can bolt on and off without removing the quill - which is what it should have been stock. Heck, leaving the stock stop completely off would have been an improvement.

Back