PM-728VT and Stainless Steel

RetiredRich

Registered
Registered
Hi,
I purchased a PM-728VT which is powered with a 1HP brushless motor. The delivery date is sometime in September.

It is my intention to be milling stainless steel. The stainless steel is from a vacuum chamber. It is likely 304.

After some more research, it sounds like SS can be difficult to work with and that it requires to take agressive cuts to avoid hardening.

I am wondering if a 1HP brushless motor has enough power. Has anybody with a PM-728VT worked with SS?

Any input is appreciated.

Rich

You shouldn't have too much trouble, I have worked stainless on a 6" lathe with a 1/3 HP motor
You need good sharp tools HSS and carbide
-Mark

Bridgeport's with a step pulley head are 1 HP. As Mark mentioned above, you'd have plenty of power, just make sure your tooling is sharp.

Bruce

Ok. Thank you for taking the time to chime in. Nothing more disappointing than buying a tool that is not meant or able to do the job you bough it for.
I can now get a few extra options for the mill.

Have a good day,
Rich

Ok. Thank you for taking the time to chime in. Nothing more disappointing than buying a tool that is not meant or able to do the job you bough it for.
I can now get a few extra options for the mill.

Have a good day,
Rich
Hi Rich,

I'm about to embark on the same task you posted about, with the same machine. I'm curious about your experience. How did it go?

I've got some coated carbide, corner radius variable pitch flute endmills coming, which are recommend for stainless. I'm targeting under 200 sfm to start, 0.002" per tooth, and I'll have a healthy fogbuster mist and air blast to clear chips. Calculations come out to 0.6Hp required for this cut, so I figure I'm good.

Chris

Last edited:
Back