PM-728 Stand

Firebrick43

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have been thinking about a mill bigger than my atlas MFC. I have somewhat settled on a PM728. Is the stand they sell for it any good? I have some 3/4 plate with some 3-4" legs would make a good stand but if the Premade one is any decent I would buy it as I have to many projects as it is

I always find the factory stands not to be a very good value. I built one for my 833T for less money than the factory stand and it better suits my needs. I too though can relate to having too many projects, but what fun would it be if we didn't have too many?!

The stand is decent, but when I needed some adjustment feet, I found the sheet metal too thin, it's a bit bouncy on the feet. If you were to mount some thick-walled rectangular tube or better yet, another layer of 1/4" plate to bottom, it would probably fix the flex. If you could mount it directly to floor (assuming your floor is solid/flat), better yet.

I built my own stand, because I needed a space for a vise and assembly in my shop. It is about 6 feet wide, 28 inches deep, and the same height as the factory pedestal stand. It is wide enough that I have space beyond the full travel of the table. The steel plate under the mill is 3/8ths thick, the workspace on the right is quarter inch, and is where the vise sits. The weight of the mill plus the table gives more mass to work against when I am torquing (not twerking) on the vise.

The table was made with 2 inch square tubing with 1/8th wall.

I am only getting the "bounce" when turning the Z axis crack real fast or same with X axis. While running it's stable, it's just the frequency/rhythm of cranking quickly that can get it going.

Thank you guys. I will build my own stand if the factory one has some bounce when turning dials. I won't tolerate that. As I said before, I have a bunch of 3/4" Plate, That and some 3x3 legs wont bounce

I will build my own stand if the factory one has some bounce when turning dials

I would assume that you are going to order it without the stand? I just looked at the stand is $300. I can scrape together a fair amount of steel and have a custom stand for that amount of $$$.

I would assume that you are going to order it without the stand? I just looked at the stand is $300. I can scrape together a fair amount of steel and have a custom stand for that amount of $$$.
Yes, I haven't ordered anything yet. Need to find out a few things about the cnc kit first

Back