PM-728 CNC Conversion Final Results?

sunrise305

Registered
Registered
I have seen numerous posts discussing the details of converting a PM-728 mill to CNC. But there is little posted in the way of end results. For those of you who have gone down this path, how did you end up? Did you fully complete the conversion? if so, are you happy with the performance of the final product? Could the money spent been better invested in a different solution such as a purpose-built CNC mill? If you had to do it over again, would you do anything differently? Thanks in advance for your feedback which may prove invaluable to those of use contemplating the same journey.

Last edited:
I don't have this machine so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

I don't think you can compare this conversion to a real VMC (purpose built vertical machining center). Would money be better spent on a commercial VMC, or even something hobby class like a Tormach really comes down to what your goals are and how much space & power you have in your shop.

Do you already own the PM and are itching to do a conversion? If so I think you already have your answer....

If not do you have the space for a commercial mill? There are definitely deals to be had on machines which need new controls, this may feed your desire to do a "conversion" at it can be a significant undertaking that will result in a very stout machine tool. There are also Bridgeport style mills originally sold as CNC that come up frequently for decent deals.

Take a look @JimDawson for many threads and advice on how to do this.

Good question to ask BEFORE you jump into the rabbit hole....

John

I've been planning to build up a CNC mill for somebody for whom I've built a couple of other projects.
The best "starting" candidate I could find was the Taig 2019 CR(CNC ready) mill.
Though not large(XYZ travels of 12", 5.5" and 6", it's basically a nice stout mill. The preliminary budget came to just over $2500 for everything. After buying the mill, I've gone on to buy the steppers, controllers, Centroid Acorn board, home sensors and enclosure parts. I plan to take lots of photos, document the build, write up an article, and submit it to Digital Machinist.

Back