Pm-727m Powered Z Axis

I follow most of the threads here, and feel that I may be able to add something to this one.

A few years ago, while still living in Alaska, I acquired a Green Mill. It was close in size to the PM932. It did not have powered Z axis. I soon tired of that game, & decided to fix it. So, I started an extensive search for suitable "stuff" to create a lifting device for it. I eventually stumbled onto Burden Surplus Center--- http://www.surpluscenter.com/. Next, I spent a lot of time studying their selection of gear motors. I finally settled on one (no longer listed on their site) that operated on 230VAC. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the specs (torque & RPM) for it. I believe it cost about $79 + shipping to Alaska. I also purchased a "Lovejoy type) coupling. As you can see in the included pics, it is pretty beefy. It lifted the head with no problems. If I were to guess, I would estimate 4-6 inches per minute--not smoking fast. Being that it was 230 volts, I just wired it in from the line-in side of the VFD. I placed an up/down switch next to the VFD, & it served me very well till I sold it & moved out of Alaska.

Hopefully the pics & link to Burden will be of some value to you.

Jerry in Delaware

Power Lift.jpg
Mill + Table.jpg
Controls.jpg

Very nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm using a Ford Windstar (or whatever) wiper motor, 12 volt coupled to the head crank shaft, at the top of the column to raise and lower the head. No problems, the motor never gets hot, but it only runs a bit at a time.

Hello gang. I wish to add a power lift for my "about to be delivered PM727 w/DRO". (Hopefully Monday :)). I would like to know the specs of a successful conversion. Perhaps RPM/ torque specs??? Is there a specific wiper motor that gets the job done??? I see wiper motors are very reasonable on Fleabay, just wondering if they have enough umph and whether they are happy turning in reverse.
Thank you in advance
Robert in Milwaukee

Last edited:
OOOPSSS!!!
I should have done a bit of looking before pressing the "post" button.
I didn't realize that the 727 was 115V.
Sorry about that.

Jerry in Delaware

hey jer, thanks for the response. (yep, I should of stated 115v or 12v). looking at the specs of your linked gear-motor...its rated at 28rpm. is 28 sufficient??? I don't have the mill in front of me (as its now sitting in a Milwaukee shipping terminal. yaaaaa!), but I was guessing 75-100ish rpm was necessary. thoughts please.
TIA

I think it might be a bit slow, but that lends it to more power for the lift and slow to be able to fine adjust--if necessary. The one I had in Alaska was also slow, but unless in a hurry, it worked very well.

Jerry in Delaware

My Ford Windstar wiper motor runs my PM25 Z axis at 6 inches per minute. I did not put a speed control on it so I wouldn't be tempted to use it for feed. I'ts a bit faster coming down, but not a lot.

hello tom, I think ill pop for the ford windstar option (via fleabay). if you have any other tips or suggestions feel free to suggest!
jerry and tom, thank you for your input.
robt in mke

Back