My x-axis power feed came in today from PM. It is a ALSGS ALB-310s and specs to 450 inch lbs. It was $295 shipped from PM. You can find it cheaper elsewhere, but I wanted to by from them for their customer service. These power feeds install horizontally on the PM-727m which is a bit awkward because it takes up more floorspace. I haven't seen one that sits vertically on this type of mill, but there may be one out there. Some of you may want to see what installation entails. I will post a few more pics when get some time to put it on.
IMG_5735.JPG

That's one nice power feed. At times, after cranking, Ive been tempted to even hook up a cordless drill just to give the arms a rest.

After reading about the delrin, had to dig through the moving boxes and found a stick. Once I get some time I'll have to impliment it.

The directions that came with the new power feed are the usual lost in translation Chinese variety, so expect a bit of head scratching. The installation wasn't hard, but there are a few things of note.

The motor mounting bracket comes in two parts. One that clamps to the table with 2 bolts and one that mounts on the motor housing with 2 bolts. They are also joined together by 2 more bolts. The different bolts allow adjustability in how the motor pinion gear and the bevel gear that installs on the x-axis mesh up. It may take some fine tuning to get the gears running smooth.

You will need to get 2 mounting bolts then drill and tap holes to mount the limit switch. The little T-slot nuts that anchor the switch stops are slightly too big for the PM-727m and need sanded or filed down a bit. Also I find the stops snag up on my "upgraded" locking knobs, so I may have to go back to the original levers.

I do wish the power led was brighter as it is really hard to see. Otherwise I'm happy with how the how the power feed works. The speed control and transmission lever work great. Now I just need to use it to make some chips.

IMG_5738.JPG
IMG_5741.JPG
IMG_5747.JPG
IMG_5748.JPG
IMG_5754.JPG
IMG_5755.JPG
IMG_5757.JPG

IMG_5760.JPG
IMG_5759.JPG

Last edited:
I do wish the power led was brighter as it is really hard to see.

My thought too. Without thinking about it, I thought it was an LED also but it's actually a neon bulb. You can always do what I did (or similar). Post 65 .

20130305_212043_LLS_zps3b3ad0cf.jpg

My thought too. Without thinking about it, I thought it was an LED also but it's actually a neon bulb. You can always do what I did (or similar). Post 65 .

20130305_212043_LLS_zps3b3ad0cf.jpg
Nice! I have built Led drivers before but its been quite some time. If it annoys me enough, I will follow your lead and upgrade the light.:applause 2:

Squaring off the sawed edges of some 4140 for a project.
Nice job on the install for the power feed. Is the ball oiler on the left end of your x-axis lead screw now inaccessible for oiling the support bearing. Looks like it could be a challenge. Just curious.

Lefty

Nice job on the install for the power feed. Is the ball oiler on the left end of your x-axis lead screw now inaccessible for oiling the support bearing. Looks like it could be a challenge. Just curious.

Lefty
Yes it does get covered. You can remove the power feed off the table fairly easily by losening 2 bolts. I would have to look at it closer, but I suppose you could look at drilling an access hole in the mounting bracket so the feed could be kept in place.

Been busy for a few weeks and haven't done much milling. Today I made a "screwy ball" out of a 1" ball bearing. I saw a few videos online where people used them to help hold non-square workpieces up against the fixed jaw. I just got this little machinist vise and used it and some nuts for the setup. I ground a flat in the ball with my belt sander to save some time and then made some passes with my carbide face mill. It turned out pretty nice.
IMG_5998.JPG
IMG_6003.JPG
IMG_6004.JPG
IMG_6005.JPG
IMG_6011.JPG

Last edited:
Back