Pm 727 Z Axis

tweinke

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Ok this might sound like a stupid question but here it is. I want to check the z axis gib, my question is which way do I adjust it to be tighter and how do I know when I have it right. Seems kind of hard to judge tightness with the weight of the head hanging on it.

Right = tight. Back off the bottom "keeper" gib adjustment then tighten the top one. The "keeper" gib adjustment bolt is on the bottom of the head hidden under the column accordion way cover.

If you have the gibs too tight it will be hard to crank up and down. Another sign your gibs are too tight is if the head "sticks and drops" as you lower the head down. You will need to make multiple adjustments while moving the head up and down the column to get a good balance of rigid vs smooth travel.

-Denzil

Yup figured it out but you confirmed my findings. Adjusted to have free movement with minimal head droop using an indicator then checked for complete travel. easy peasy once I confirmed correct direction to move the gib. Only snag is now the lower adjuster is in the way of the column cover, thinking a spacer to gain clearance. Thanks for the help!

Only snag is now the lower adjuster is in the way of the column cover, thinking a spacer to gain clearance.

I have the same problem after adjusting my Z gibs. Haven't decided how to address it yet.

-Denzil

My lower gib adjuster is only engaging the last few threads the entire head of the adjuster is completely out of the hole when I have it adjusted nicely . Almost like the gib is too short. When I have time I would like to call Matt and see what he says. One thought I did have was to put a thin piece of shim stock behind the gib but don't know how that would work.

No go on shimming, no room. I did remove the gib and the narrow end does not have a relief cut in it like the other end. Pondered it for a while crossed my fingers and blued the end, marked it off to match the other end and used a hacksaw and file to make it match the thick end. Sweating bullets I slipped it back in and presto now the lower screw is where it should be. Time will tell if I made a poor choice.

Back