PM-45M-CNC Setup and Configuration with Mach3

Looking forward to hearing how the conversion goes for you. Please be sure to share some pictures of how you mount the motion controller and any issues you have to solve to help others that might go through this process in the future.

Hello everyone,

I have begun the process of getting my mill up and running. Our shop purchased a PM-940M CNC. Thanks to Gary and his documentation I've been able to get all my axis up and running and I have run the test g.code roadrunner. The table(x,y) and z axis move as they should but, I'm not able to get my spindle to turn on. I've reviewed the documents and I don't believe I've missed any steps or overlooked something. I've tried both M3 and M4 codes to turn on the spindle but, no luck. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions that I could try to get my spindle turning.

Edit to add - When using M3 and M4 codes in MDI the VFD still has the "FWD" and "STOP" LED lit up. Regardless of command used the VFD is not recognizing the spindle change in direction or allowing the spindle to function.

Last edited:
Chocadile, Will the spindle turn when you just select it on the Mach3 screen, not using any GCode?
It seems like I remember someone else having a Spindle issue on initial startup but I can't remember any details.
Probably worth checking the wiring to make sure nothing came loose in shipping.
If you still have issues, I encourage you to contact Matt. He has a good reputation for Customer Support.

Possibly others might have some suggestions.

Thanks for the response Boswell, No my spindle will not turn when selecting it on the Mach 3 interface/screen. There is another thread here on hobby machinist with another member having spindle troubles but, didn't post any results or what fixed their problem. I'll look in the cabinet and see if anything looks out of place. My gut is telling me it's something with the VFD. I just wanted to see if anyone else had encountered this issue before and had some suggestions. I will contact Matt and see if he can help me out as well.

Greetings all. My name is Dan, I am a total nube. No mill experience, only a little lathe experience. Recently I purchased the PM45 CNC from Ray C of this thread. This machine has been sitting unused in his garage for a few years. He doesn't have much extra time anymore and what he does now he uses his manual mill.

Before I can put it back together and set it up, I have to finish the shipping container shop I am building. I have already purchased the PMDX 424 and 407 along with Mach4 to upgrade the mill. Laying on my desk, I have connected the 424 and 407 to the computer and it seems to play well with Mach4 so far. I cant wait to get it all set up and start crashing things... I mean learn to use it. Spending time now learning Fusion 360.

I appreciate all I have learned from you all so far reading the posts on this board. Pictures will come shortly on the shop build if you are interested and the mill as I progress on the project.

Dan H.

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of smart and helpful people here. I look forward to hearing about your experiences with Mach 4 go once you get it all up and running.

Has anyone gotten Mach3 to read the spindle RPM while using the Jamen controller board that comes with the Precision Mathews mill?

Has anyone been able to get a SmoothStepper, PMDX-106 & PMDX-107 working with Mach4? I made the leap but have not been able to get the spindle drive or stepper motors working properly. My setup is connected and tested per Gary's instructions. The limit switch inputs and Estop are all working. Our setup has a fixed speed spindle.

Has anyone been able to get a SmoothStepper, PMDX-106 & PMDX-107 working with Mach4? I made the leap but have not been able to get the spindle drive or stepper motors working properly. My setup is connected and tested per Gary's instructions. The limit switch inputs and Estop are all working. Our setup has a fixed speed spindle.
PMDX has always been very helpful to me but I have the 424 & 407 which made it very simple even for me.

Back