PM-45M-CNC Setup and Configuration with Mach3

Thanks for the photo's. The aluminum brackets look like a good simple solution.

The wires were all long enough, but as you can see from the attached photos, I had to add a few. I built the brackets out of aluminum.

View attachment 125658 View attachment 125659 View attachment 125660 View attachment 125661

I ordered the Ethernet smooth stepper and the PMDX-126 and 107 boards. They should arrive early next week. I want to get my probe working and I want to check out Mach4 and this seems like the best way forward. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks GaryL for paving the way !

Great, I think you will find these a definite improvement. You can set up the Smooth stepper with your computer without connection to the pmdx-126, then it will be ready to go when you hook it up. If you have any questions, just ask.
I will be interested in how this works with Mach4.

I ordered the Ethernet smooth stepper and the PMDX-126 and 107 boards. They should arrive early next week. I want to get my probe working and I want to check out Mach4 and this seems like the best way forward. I'll let you know how it goes.

I have this combo on my PM932 conversion and have been extremely pleased with it. I really like the PMDX products and their support is awesome. My only complaint is the manuals are written for someone who knows what they are doing and some of the terms are confusing. Once you get it setup it seems too simple. I will also be interested to hear what you think of Mach4. I'm about done fighting Mach3 randomly not turning on the spindle.

The parts have shipped and I am just waiting for them to arrive. I'll share my experience once I get it up and running. What kind of Pwr supply did you both use for the SmoothStepper? The manual recommends against using a switching supply but I am having problems finding a linear supply for 5v other than a wall-wart.

The parts have shipped and I am just waiting for them to arrive. I'll share my experience once I get it up and running. What kind of Pwr supply did you both use for the SmoothStepper? The manual recommends against using a switching supply but I am having problems finding a linear supply for 5v other than a wall-wart.

If you mount the smoothstepper on the PMDX-126 and use the recommended ribbon cables the PMDX-126 will provide the 5v power for the smoothstepper.

If you mount the smoothstepper on the PMDX-126 and use the recommended ribbon cables the PMDX-126 will provide the 5v power for the smoothstepper.

Well, if you did into the instructions some they say that if you are going to use a PMDX-107 daughterboard then you must power the Smoothstepper separately.
Anyway, I found and affordable Linear 5v power supply so I am good to go. Just waiting for the parts and some time. Hopefully this coming weekend I will have time to work on it. It does not look like a difficult installation. Probably more time spend on fabricating the brackets that wiring up the boards. (I hope)

Well, if you did into the instructions some they say that if you are going to use a PMDX-107 daughterboard then you must power the Smoothstepper separately.
Anyway, I found and affordable Linear 5v power supply so I am good to go. Just waiting for the parts and some time. Hopefully this coming weekend I will have time to work on it. It does not look like a difficult installation. Probably more time spend on fabricating the brackets that wiring up the boards. (I hope)

Yep your right, I forgot about that. I used a power supply similar to this.

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell®-Swit...1468354569&sr=8-13&keywords=5vdc+power+supply

I have received the Ethernet Smoothstepper and the PMDX-126 and PMDX-107 and I hope to work on the upgrade this weekend.

GaryL, Do you happen to have a chart that shows what Connections on the PMDX-126 that you used for which functions? I figured if you had this it would make it easier to compare and share if we both used the same I/O configuration. Sort of a Quasi standard if you will. I can tell by your pictures that you used J1, J2, J3 and J4 for X-Y-Z-A axis. Any other config documents that you have handy could be useful.

Back