PM-45M-CNC Setup and Configuration with Mach3

Great to hear [GaryL]. it took me a while to get it all figured out. let me know if you have any more questions that I can help with.

Thank you Boswell, the before axis relocation home and limits screenshot helped me out, my machine is now functional and I am beginning to understand the Mach3 software.

Hi Boswell, here is what I ended up with for my machine to produce full size tool paths. I wonder if I have something set differently somewhere that requires these settings. However, the motors sound much better since it started making full size tool paths. They use to kind of groan especially when homing Z. I also noticed that the DRO, before the change, was indicating the correct dimensions from the g code but the actual tool movement was 1/2 scale. Weird! Thanks for helping out, Bill

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG Capture1.jpg

Last edited:
This seems very strange. With the Steps set at 12800 If you go into Mach3 and Set the x Offset to Zero then use MDI to enter G50 <enter> then G0 X2. Does it actually Move 2" ? The G50 will set any scale factors in Mach3 to 1.0 and of course the G0 X2 will do a rapid move in the x plane of 2".

I was having the same problem with my mill only traveling about 1/2 the actual distance. So I went to the settings tab, axis calibration, set steps per unit and after I measured and input actual distance traveled, it set the parameter to 12800. Now the mill is traveling the actual distance I tell it to.

just out of curiosity how did was the 8000 steps derived at in the first place? Im trying to remember how I calculated my motors when I set them up.

I believe I recall that the value of 320 was multiplied by the factor of 25 to get 8000. but I believe the factor is actually 25.4 and the would result in 8128 steps per

I believe I recall that the value of 320 was multiplied by the factor of 25 to get 8000. but I believe the factor is actually 25.4 and the would result in 8128 steps per

I think that I got the number independently from others when I was experimenting. At the time I did not have very good measuring equipment so I taped a 12" steal rule to the table and put the smallest drill bit I had into a chuck. Then started moving back and forth using MDI while changing the values of the Steps per inch. I arrived at 8000. It is interesting because my measuring system was probably not good enough to resolve 128 steps per inch. I have not done much "precision" work and any errors I have attributed to my lack of skill and experience. It is very frustrating that this very fundamental number is not definitively published. I guess I will get out the DTI and see if I can verify the number this weekend. There is still the question of what is causing a difference between 8000(ish) and 12800.

I think that I got the number independently from others when I was experimenting. At the time I did not have very good measuring equipment so I taped a 12" steal rule to the table and put the smallest drill bit I had into a chuck. Then started moving back and forth using MDI while changing the values of the Steps per inch. I arrived at 8000. It is interesting because my measuring system was probably not good enough to resolve 128 steps per inch. I have not done much "precision" work and any errors I have attributed to my lack of skill and experience. It is very frustrating that this very fundamental number is not definitively published. I guess I will get out the DTI and see if I can verify the number this weekend. There is still the question of what is causing a difference between 8000(ish) and 12800.

Boswell,
I completely agree with your frustration as I thought that this mill would have been plug and play with directions included that leave no stone unturned. I was instantly overwhelmed with setting this mill up because of my lack of experience. But we all chipped in an got these mills up and running. The 12800 number has to have something to do with either stepper motors or the lead screws

zr8,
I have gotten 2 buttons to work on the pendant. Z- moves Y+ and Y- mover Z+. Still working on it as a matter of principle but will soon order an iMach. Not sure which model though. I really kind of like the layout of the Jamen pendant. Perhaps Mach4 will be better at interpreting this stuff. I think I'll give it a try when it comes out.

zr8,
I have gotten 2 buttons to work on the pendant. Z- moves Y+ and Y- mover Z+. Still working on it as a matter of principle but will soon order an iMach. Not sure which model though. I really kind of like the layout of the Jamen pendant. Perhaps Mach4 will be better at interpreting this stuff. I think I'll give it a try when it comes out.

I found the included pendent to be only slightly better than useless. I am currently using a "Wireless" pendent from China. It is OK but could be better.

Back