PM-30MV-L

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anyone here own one? Talked to Matt(is that his name?) at PM yesterday asking questions about his PM 25 and 30.

Reason I ask is I'm wondering if a power table feed can be had for the 30? I can put a Griz 704 feed on the 25, but I don't think that will work on the 30.

The other question is the bottom dimensions of the 30's stand? I want to put this thing on a Griz mobile base and need to figure out which one to get.

Sent these questions to Matt, but he may not get to my email for a day or two.

Bill

I was in a similar position a few months ago trying to pick out my first mill. I spoke with Matt then about the PM30 and PM25 mills and he recommended going with the PM932 for what I would be doing. I'm so glad I did it costs a bit more, but it is a lot more mill for the money. If you can afford the DRO definitely get it. It make things go so much easier.

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. :)

I did talk to Matt yesterday and the day before. I have a little LMS mill and want a little more. We talked and I'm a bit worried about being able to drag a PM30 on it's 600lb pallet up my driveway. It's a bit steep. My wife thinks I should get the 30 anyway, but at 5'1" she won't be much help getting that thing into the garage.

But for what I want to do, the 25 should be big enough. I seldom ever use an end mill larger that 3/8", and while I do work with stainless and titanium for some of my projects, these are fairly small parts and I am comfortable making several passes rather than trying to take a 1/2" DOC in one pass. It's a hobby, I'm not trying to make a living. Biggest thing I need to put on that table will likely be a 6" rotary table, and that should fit fine.

Well, at least that is what I'm telling myself at the moment.

Bill

Bill,

By unbolting the column/head from the base, the mill becomes manageable to move in two pieces... Either way, you'll probably need a lifting hoist of some sort as even the 25 and 30 are a bit more than one normal person can lift. If neither money or space are a concern, you might consider the 932. Still though, there's nothing wrong with the 25 or 30 but, they do sometimes need modification to the head gears in time.

Ray

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. :)

I did talk to Matt yesterday and the day before. I have a little LMS mill and want a little more. We talked and I'm a bit worried about being able to drag a PM30 on it's 600lb pallet up my driveway. It's a bit steep. My wife thinks I should get the 30 anyway, but at 5'1" she won't be much help getting that thing into the garage.

But for what I want to do, the 25 should be big enough. I seldom ever use an end mill larger that 3/8", and while I do work with stainless and titanium for some of my projects, these are fairly small parts and I am comfortable making several passes rather than trying to take a 1/2" DOC in one pass. It's a hobby, I'm not trying to make a living. Biggest thing I need to put on that table will likely be a 6" rotary table, and that should fit fine.

Well, at least that is what I'm telling myself at the moment.

Bill

Bill,

By unbolting the column/head from the base, the mill becomes manageable to move in two pieces... Either way, you'll probably need a lifting hoist of some sort as even the 25 and 30 are a bit more than one normal person can lift. If neither money or space are a concern, you might consider the 932. Still though, there's nothing wrong with the 25 or 30 but, they do sometimes need modification to the head gears in time.

Ray

Hey Ray,

The 25 is manageable for me if I take the column/head off, as I can still lift 150 lbs or so. Not sure if I can do that 5 years down the road though, so I'm thinking a small folding 1/2 ton hoist should do the trick, and possibly prevent me from hurting myself.

The 30 is just going to be too much for this old guy to handle. I'm a fairly big guy, but I don't ever remember a time when I could pick up 300 lbs and walk with it. And forget 5 years down the road when I want to move back to Tucson AZ :)

I appreciate the recommendation on the 932, and I have looked at it. Nice machine. But it's way outside my limitations.

Regarding the comment about the head gears: When I talked to Matt, he said that the plastic drive gear on top will break if the machine is pushed too hard. Although he said he's never broken one, I would make plans to upgrade to a belt drive and better bearings in the headstock to get 4000 rpm for small cutters. When I asked about the high/low gears inside the head, he said that there's one plastic gear in there but he's never heard of one breaking. I'll investigate when I get the machine, but I'm using this for fairly small work. I'm not going to attempt to bury a 1/2" end mill in 3/4 steel plate. My next project and probably the most ambitious, is a Quorn T/C machine. It's certainly the biggest, but I think it will fit comfortably within the work envelop of the 25 and my little 8k SB. Will need that 5c collet chuck for the SB though...(sorry, but I digress).

I talked to a lady at PM yesterday and she said that they don't offer a power feed for the 25. So that means I'll have to buy the 704 version from Griz and re-paint it. Not putting a green PF on a pretty blue mill... Always something. ;)

After talking to the Boss/Wife, I may even be able to swing this before Christmas! :thumbsup:

Back