PM-30MV Assembly weight

justindavidow

Registered
Registered
Hey folks!

I'm in the planning phase of acquiring a new mill.

I've been looking at the Precision Matthews PM-30MV for a variety of reasons (if anyone wants to know, ask anytime!)

One of the restrictions I have in acquiring a mill is that I'm currently (for ~2 years) going to be stuck mostly working in a basement. I do end up working on job sites from time to time, and will need to be able to transport the mill a few times a year.

I need something that I can take apart and get down to a few manageable assemblies. I _think_ it should be FAIRLY easy to break the PM-30MV down into AROUND four components for transport ...and then enjoy re-tramming! (Fully aware that this is going to take a few hours!)

SO, my question:

Has anyone had a PM-30MV torn down and happened to weigh the major assemblies?
  • Head
  • Column
  • Table
  • Base (with saddle)

Alternatively if possible: I'd LOVE to know what the weight of each component on the parts breakdown is, I'd be able to calculate the exact assembly weight from that. (I IMAGINE that Precision Matthews may either have this already; or be able to request such from the manufacturer.. as sourcing parts would need to know the volumetric for transportation already).

EXTRA Alternatively; is there a breakdown of the weight of the major castings and components? I can extrapolate the assembly weight from these:
  • Z5372 (Head Box)
  • Z5445 (Motor)
  • Z5479 (Headstock Pivot Casting)
  • Z5539 (Column)
  • Z5509 (Table)
  • Z5517 (Saddle)
  • Z5515 (Base)

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

When I moved my 833TV, I removed the head, the motor, X axis, the Y axis, and used a hand truck for the base and column. The base and column was heavy, but I was able to solo it. I did not remove the column from the base, as I did not want to open that can of worms. The headstock pivot casting stayed on the column as well, and I had to deal with stone steps to get it to the level of my basement. @ people and a hand truck would be more than enough.

Specific weights, I do not know, but the 833TV has 350+ pounds on the 30.

I was able to remove the table on my PM-30MV by hand. Its heavy, and should be done with two people, but I did it solo. Use an engine hoist and its much easier.

So with that said, two (strong) people can move each assembly by hand without too much trouble. Slow and steady. You could probably use a good strong hand truck to take each assembly up and down stairs too without too much hassle.

I agree with the above. It's heavy, but not so heavy that it can't be moved with a little patience and some "rigging". Separating the table from the rest of the machine would be the most important. After that, as mentioned above, a hand truck and an extra set of hands could get it done. With patience and care of course. Personally, I don't think I'd separate the head, column and base. I guess it would depend on how many stairs were talking about though.

Back