Pm-1440gt

All I can say is WOW! Mark. This is over the top. Thank you.

I do want to keep the mechanical brake which sounds like is possible. Without having the machine yet and the fact that this is a new yet to be seen machine, would it still be possible for me to collect all (or at least most) of the parts ahead of time? You mention you have parts lists.

On my CNC mill I have two e-stops, a master e-stop that kills all power to the machine and an e-stop that just stops the controller if the machine does something unexpected. The master e-stop was setup as an "Oh crap the machines on fire" safety. This is probably not necessary for a manual machine so the rotary switch sounds like the better idea.

Assuming this machine has a jog button, does this feature only jog in one direction or can it be set to jog in either direction?

To keep things simple(er) I will order a Hitachi WJ200-022SF VFD.

Thanks,
Jay

The jog function on the WJ200 requires both a 'activate' input and a direction. I have a picture of this at home, but on my 1340GT just below the Jog button is a three-position switch (fwd/off/rev), that I use to either jog in the forward or reverse direction. I have to flip the switch first (non-momentary) before the Jog button becomes active.

Not sure I wanted this, but it has become quite handy. :)

I've never used a jog button (that I can recall) but the first thing that came to mind was power taping and some threading ops.

I wonder if the fwd/rev jog could be accomplished with a single 2 pole, 2-pos momentary toggle?

The jog function on the WJ200 requires both a 'activate' input and a direction. I have a picture of this at home, but on my 1340GT just below the Jog button is a three-position switch (fwd/off/rev), that I use to either jog in the forward or reverse direction. I have to flip the switch first (non-momentary) before the Jog button becomes active.

Not sure I wanted this, but it has become quite handy. :)

I thought the same thing Bill, whether I would ever use it or not. However, I have found I use my JOG feature a lot.

Mike.

I've never used a jog button (that I can recall) but the first thing that came to mind was power taping and some threading ops.

I wonder if the fwd/rev jog could be accomplished with a single 2 pole, 2-pos momentary toggle?

That's exactly what I use it for. As for the momentary, I thought about it, but didn't want to have to be that coordinated to activate two buttons/switches at the same time. :)

Ooopps... I meant 2-pole 3 pos momentary toggle, on(fwd)-off-on(rev). One pole would be the "active" and the other pole wold be the direction so one switch is all would be needed. I don't know if the vfd needs to see the active signal first or it they can both be called at the same time.

Not sure of the logic timing. IF I was writing the code/logic for it, when I see a 'Jog' input, I would query the Dir input to determine which direction I would activate. But I didn't design this thing so that's just a guesstimate on my part. :)

Jbolt : I'm guessing your avatar will clear up when your new lathe is up and running.
Sounds like it's going to be a nice lathe.

My Avatar will start to clear up when I know what the machine looks like!

To keep things simple(er) I will order a Hitachi WJ200-022SF VFD
That would be the correct model for single phase input, 3Hp 3 phase output continuous torque/sensorless vector. Surprised about the comment on the WJ200 having mixed reviews, they are very durable, the programming can be a PTA but once running I have not heard of any issues.

The WJ200 needs two commands to JOG in a direction, the JOG just sets the frequency (6 Hz is the default), the second command needs to be a direction. This is usually accomplished with a one way diode between between the JOG terminal and the Forward or Reverse terminal. This is a common request I often get and currently I have been using a 2 way joystick to momentarily jog forward or reverse. A matter of preference.

The usual E-Stop in VFD systems would interrupt the VFD run inputs and implementing rapid braking. I see no reason to kill the system power, as this defeats the VFD safety features. Usual protocol is to have a main power disconnect switch, followed by a fuse or breaker, which then power the VFD. If there is that much current that you need to kill the power, then a breaker or fuse will trip long before you get to it. As mentioned, many machines use a momentary switch to activate a contactor to apply system power. most likely this is much easier then pulling power to the the front of the machine, and the contactor can be wired into other safety systems. I would just put a two pole switch on the machine and keep it simple.

Many of the parts I usually get from AutomationDirect, they have a wide selection and they have 2 day delivery, so most of the process is figuring out what you need. A few things like the brake resistor is from China, so those are worth ordering in advance as they can take 2-3 weeks to get here. I can provide a list of usual sources. As mentioned, you will need a 24VDC power supply 60-100W to run the relays, tach and possibly lights if you go that route. Also a step down converter for 12 VDC components like the tach and 12V lighting.

Last but not least, if you have a VFD with low voltage controls I do recommend using some form of electronic carriage stop that is fastened to your you micrometer stop. This can be something as simple as a plunger limit switch, or an electronic hall sensor. I have posted different designs, there is a number of ways to add this feature.

Probably best to send me a PM with your email, and I can work with you on your system. I am starting a new system build, and have to follow up on a few out in the field, so it may be 2-3 weeks until I can get the details to you.

Please also consider where you are going to mount the VFD and the associated infrastructure, like breakers/fuse, disconnect switch, location of power supply, etc. There are a lot of pieces to the puzzle, depending on what you want to do. This shows some of the build components to consider: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...-did-you-do-in-your-shop-today.14637/page-327

Mark

Back