Pm-1440gt

jbolt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The wait has begun. I ordered one of these last week so I figure I will start a new thread.

This is a new offering from PM. It is made in the same factory as the PM-1340GT so hopefully it is of equal quality, fit and finish.

Here the the basic specifications:
Swing over bed = 14"
Swing in gap = 20-3/4"
Center height = 7"
Spindle center from floor = 47"
Max between centers = 40"
Bed width = 7-9/16"
Bed height 11-1/2"
Spindle bore = 2"
Spindle taper = MT#5
Spindle mount = D1-5
12 speeds, 52 - 2200 rpm
Lead screw = 7/8" / 4 TPI
Inch Threads = 4-56 (32)
Metric threads - .4-7mm
Longitudinal Feed Range = .0026-.0368 IPR
Cross Feed Range = .0013-.0184 IPR
Spindle Length through headstock = 15-1/2"
Cross Slide Travel = 7"
Compound Travel - 3-1/2"
Tail Stock Quill Diameter = 1-9/16"
Tail Stock Quill Travel = 4"
Tail Stock Quill Taper = MT#3
Motor = 3 HP, 1 Phase or 3 Phase
Weight = 1650 lbs.

Steel base, foot brake, coolant system, steady rest, follow rest, other misc stuff.

Matt does not have pictures yet (driving me crazy) but he did send me a picture of the thread chart.
Thread-Feed-Chart.jpg Has a few more change gears than I like but most of the common inch threads can be done on the same gear set. This three times the number of threads I can do now on my current machine.

I poked around the internet for a similar thread chart and found the Eisen 1440E made in Taiwan.
Eisen1440e.jpg Eisen1440e-1.jpg This looks like the feed gearbox but this lathe is a 9 speed.

A little more digging and I found this lathe with a 12 speed, also made in Taiwan.
24247.jpg ACRA 1440.jpg Looks pretty close.

Then I noticed on the PM website in the lathes section a picture of a lathe with no description or link.
PM-New.jpg Hmmm..looks about right. :cautious:

I could be WAY off base but it is fun to speculate. :grin:

Now to get my current lathe sold to make room for the new one.

Jay

Cool!!!!

We require copious pics and commentary when it gets there of course! :D

Specs look good. I don't see it listed on the site? How did you hear about it?

Thanks

Paul

Hey Jay,
You won't find this one on the internet anywhere, it is made specifically for us, We are the ones who invested in the casting patterns and designs and everything else. The picture I sent you of the threads is of our standard 1440 model, but the new one will use the same thread/feed box.

I will send pictures as soon as I have them for you, but you will not find it anywhere online, until we put them out there. I do not have pictures that I can send to you yet, or I would. But it is one heck of a machine, that is for sure. The ONLY machine from Taiwan, in this kind of quality, with a 2" Spindle Bore, anywhere near this price range.

Hey Matt,

I knew you would chime in. I figured I would be totally wrong but hey, just having some fun! Now everyone is going to be curious.

Looking forward to getting some pictures!

Paul - When I was researching lathes I asked Matt if he had anything new coming out and he turned me on to this.

Jay

Well you guys certainly have my curiosity up! Always interested in seeing new toys....err...machines. :)

How long is the expected wait time?

Thanks Jay & Matt for the information. Looking forward to see the photographs.

Paul

Well you guys certainly have my curiosity up! Always interested in seeing new toys....err...machines. :)

How long is the expected wait time?

He said he was expecting them in 6 or 7 weeks.

brave man, to order sight unseen. But if Matt says it is good, you gotta trust him!

Reactions: RIO
brave man, to order sight unseen. But if Matt says it is good, you gotta trust him!

Two things I'm a little uneasy about, sight unseen (but how much different can it be from every other Asian import of this size) and it being a first generation machine. Nothing like being a beta tester. Matt's got a good reputation and seems excited about this offering so I'll take my chances.

The specs on this machine hit almost all my "wants" without going to a significantly more expensive machine which just isn't in my budget right now. It's pretty cool that he sees the value in this market to go out and have a higher quality machine produced to this spec.

Back