PM-1440GS or PM1340GT lathe or maybe a PM1440GT

Hey jer, you got that machine up and running yet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hey jer, you got that machine up and running yet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hi Jay, I'm back on the lathe starting yesterday, I've been to busy for anything fun for the last month!

I looked thru my leftover steel assortments, read junk, and found a couple of pieces that worked great to mount the VFD in and above the tailstock end of the lathe. I had two new 30 amp 4 wire plugins and receptacles that I will use on the mill and lathe. I am building a lexan plastic front cover for my 12x12x6" j box so the front controls of the VFD can stick out 1/2". I ran the shielded cable from the VFD to the control cabinet in the base. Now looking for 8' 10-3w/g shielded wire to go from the VFD to the motor. The protection scheme is next up to decide which options to wire into the VFD.

I hope to temp. wire the control box today, or at least this week, to check out the basic functions in preparation for ordering the switches, etc. to complete the wiring. I will be in touch with you and Mark I'm sure to help with something I don't understand.

Last edited:
I looked thru my leftover steel assortments, read junk, and found a couple of pieces that worked great to mount the VFD in and above the tailstock end of the lathe.

My philosophy is it's not junk until I throw it away. I seem to have a lot of "Not Junk" ...LOL

Be sure to post pictures of your progress.

I'm too ashamed to post any more pictures in my shop. LOL. It has been in a constant state of clutter every since it was built. Not to mention some family members think it is just free storage for their crap. That is changing, but slowly. How do you tell your mom to come and get her junk or "I will take it to the dump when you die" politely? Which I have already done and it's still there. My tractor and a couple of trailers are just rotting away out in the desert weather here.

On a better note, I temporarily powered up the contactors and light today, everything did what it was suppose to do. It was very encouraging to hear the contactors "click" when they were suppose to. Now I really am over my head from here on out. Going as slow as I have had to so far it hasn't been too big of an ordeal.

Last edited:
Well, around several projects that have derailed the lathe project this summer I started the lathe yesterday. It gave over current fault codes in some lower gears but ran in higher ones. I will check my wiring for problems before crying help to Mark and Jay but it made me happy to hear it run, finally. I hope it just needs some VFD tweaking.

Probably need more information as to when the fault occurs, acceleration, at speed , changing speed or when stopping. I have updated the parameter file for this machine, see attached.
1. Make sure the motor parameters are set correctly.
2. Run autotune and specify that the motor values should be used (see attached).
3. You can increase the current overload b022, I am not sure of the factory default, but try something like 150 or 170 %.
4. The 1440GT tends to stutter on acceleration, change the acceleration time to 3 seconds. Change the acceleration curve to linear A097 to 00.

Starting point, let us know how it goes.
Mark

Attachments

• PM1440GT BASIC VFD PROGRAMMING USING THE STOCK CONTROL SYSTEM AND CONTROLS 02 OCT 2017.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 124
  • PM1440GT Basic Wiring Changes for useing a the Contactors to switch the VFD inputs.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 125
Glad to hear it is coming along. Your best bet for vfd/motor issues is mksj as my motor is different.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hi guys, good to hear from both of you. I'm sure my problems are my own fault.

Mark, the faults were at start up, E03 & E05 if I remember correctly. I will look to see if the motor info is what's being used or not. More to come.

I don't have the tach on yet but using 60Hz as reference. The only problems have been spooling up the chuck.

More to come.

Last edited:
Well, the tach and toggle jog are the only features left to finish. I am impressed with the lathe. As expected, my problems were programing related. I went through the list again and found two places I overlooked and the auto tune needed done over. All my fault. As mentioned the GT does shutter a little on spool up if asked to do so too fast. I settled on 5 seconds. I can't believe how quickly the foot brake stops the chuck, with the speeds I will use most it will stop instantaneously(thank God for spell check). I can't wait to try threading with the toggle jog and VFD combined.

Mark and Jay helped, more like spoon fed me the info, so I could do the conversion. It isn't hard but does require your full attention. I want to thank them for all their help to make it possible for me to get the 3Ø lathe up and running with the VFD. A lot of things got in my way this summer and made it take longer that you would believe.

Thanks for your willingness guys to help another member you only know through the forum. Mark, I will send an email with a couple of questions I came up with to run by you soon.

When the GT is in it's final slot I will try to post some pictures of what I did to make it all mine.

Back again with an update,the jog is up and running. The covers are all back on and I am ready to start building the outboard spider and tach install which will be done more or less at the same time. I'm trying to figure the best way to open up the gear cover, something like Jay (jbolt) did to his, to allow the cover to be used with the spider and keep the spindle as short as possible.

Last edited:
Back