PM-1440GS or PM1340GT lathe or maybe a PM1440GT

It is looking more and more like I am going to be forced into 'early retirement'. I am lucky that I thought to purchase my large machines before the money tree died. :(

And it's a good thing I bought decent quality machines, as I won't be able to replace them any time soon! :eek:

My money tree is now broke down, it withered and died. Thankfully it lasted thru the lathe, knee mill, tooling and saw.

I understand completely Bill. Jay is 6'1" if I remember right and he raised his GT 6". I'm only 5'6" and have my 1030V at 46" spindle height if I remember right. I like to stand up not bending over the machine, my back won't take much of that before I'm done for the day. I think they come at 42" spindle height. I will try to use the cast leveling feet that came with it first before buying anything.

I set my lathe on wood blocks to figure out the best height for me before I went about building the risers. I had hoped to make some pucks out of 3" or 4" round stock and use the factory screws but when I determined I needed 6" the pucks got over square and I was concerned about stability. My risers are made from 2" x 1/4" angle because I had 40 feet left over from a job that canceled on me.

First I'm jealous but now I'm envious, you guys with wives that tell ya go ahead must be pure angels in there eyes. Mine bellyachs when I spend twenty bucks on used tooling. God bless you and your LATHES a dream for me , of course I want a old monarch around 14" . But I'm happy with my logan it'll outlast me.

Hmmm....I've never had to ask.

Well the DRO is installed. The X axis was reading 10X its actual travel so after struggling thru the so called Users Manual and a little reading I got that fixed. I think I will like the DRO. Now its back to the wiring and milling a bottom plate for the QCTP. I know what electronic features I want but just need to get started.

It was nice having the 1030V and the Super-Max to make a drill extension and machine a couple of DRO brackets for the GT.

Well the DRO is installed. The X axis was reading 10X its actual travel so after struggling thru the so called Users Manual and a little reading I got that fixed. I think I will like the DRO. Now its back to the wiring and milling a bottom plate for the QCTP. I know what electronic features I want but just need to get started.

It was nice having the 1030V and the Super-Max to make a drill extension and machine a couple of DRO brackets for the GT.

Photos???

mksj can help you with the VFD, he is the resident expert here. He helped me get my PM1340GT up and running.

Is that a Miata?
I would agree with sanddan, I bought as much lathe as I could afford just before retirement and got the 1340GT with the 3 phase motor based on recommendationsfrom this group. Mksj was outstanding in his assistance as well as patient in all my basic questions. I have never been sorry for my decision.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Mark has been a great help already. I have been abusing him and Jay for a few weeks now. I had other things that needed to be done before I could get back on the lathe. The DRO was a challenge but it is done now. My knowledge is in a very different field (drawing and building transmission and distribution power lines for a local REA, for 39 years). I will stumble through the electronics with their help, it is very different and the same.

Great info here. I am also looking at the 1340GT and the 1440GS. I just do my own gunsmithing work and don't want to put out the money required to get a 1440GT, so it is really between these two.

I really want a Taiwan machine as I do believe it is better quality, but just not convinced I want the open gearbox. Not because of quality of the threading or anything like that, but just the extra noise it puts out and there is a mental side of it that makes me think oil splashed gears will require less maintenance long term.

I have no doubt either will work, but is the Norton gear box a valid reason to not go with the 1340? The size of both machines is more than I "need" so that isn't an issue. I don't think the GS comes in a 3 phase, but this will truly be an occasional use machine. I have a SB Heavy 10 right now, but want something a bit more modern.

I can't hear anything coming from the Norton gearbox while my lathe is running. The reason I chose the 1340 over my other choices (no 1440 for me...too big), was specifically the Norton gearbox. The only time I will ever need to change a gear on my lathe is if I want to cut a metric thread. So far that hasn't happened. :)

Back