PM-1440GS or PM1340GT lathe or maybe a PM1440GT

Thanks David, I have a PB account but haven't used it in years. I'll try it a little later.

Get the photos onto your puter and when posting use the "Upload a File" button then browse to your photo on the puter. It resizes the photo and uploads to the HM server. That way the photos won't disappear if you close your off-site hosting account.

Thanks Jay. The gear cover on my GT seems to fit the machine just right. Maybe they got some of the bugs/kinks worked out. I haven't found anything that looks other than first rate. If it runs as good as it looks I will be ecstatic. It doesn't seem as big as I thought it would be, very compact machine. Even if it is over 20" wider and 4-5 times the weight of the 1030V.

Last edited:
Excellent!

I think because my machine was in the very first batch and the factory was late in delivering that some things got rushed in assembly. Mechanically it has been perfect.

It's a nice size machine for a garage shop.

What are you going to do with the 1030V? Have you ever considered CNC........? We would be more than glad to help you spend more of your money. :eek 2: :grin:

Jay, I think I will be stretching what's left of my functioning brain cells to do the VFD and related conversion on the new GT. Lets get me through that first. LOL. A DRO, speed pot, tach, electronic braking and reversible jog are all I am thinking about adding to the VFD basics. I'm thinking about not using the flood coolant system and just using my Kool-Mist unit on both the mill and lathe.

If it works out the 1030 will be sold to buy more goodies for the GT. If not, a second machine in the shop works for me too.

Last edited:
Picking it up at the dock
PM1440GT-1.jpg

PM1440GT-2.jpg

20170420_143720_1492792627673.jpg

At home
PM1440GT-4.jpg

In the shop
PM1440GT-5.jpg
PM1440GT-6.jpg

I hope they turned out ok Jay.

I started cleaning it up today.

Sheesh...it's not even off the pallet. What have you been doing all day????:rolleyes: :grin:

Looks good Jerry! Now get that baby wired up!

Well, it was cold and rainy today. I did use a lot of paper towels and WD40. It's pretty well cleaned up. I sent Mark an email and will be getting started on the wiring soon.

I'm going to keep it simple. I think I want the below features, (subject to your/Marks thoughts/suggestions)

1 speed pot and faceplate
2 tach and box (under the DRO head)
3 braking resistor
4 toggle jog

I am wondering if having just the electronic braking on the e-stop and foot brake will be adequate. The toggle jog seems to be the only item I don't know the hookup for.

I'm thinking about not using the coolant system that comes on the GT and using my Kool-Mist. That frees up a hole in the face for the speed pot or an aux. power switch.

I hope to start the DRO install next week.

If you go with all electronic braking use the mechanical brake first so you can compare. If you decide to later use the mechanical brake you would just need to change the switch a s few parameters in the VFD.

The fwd/rev jog requires adding some diodes the the wiring. Not too complicated.

I wanted the coolant system but have not had a job yet that has justified using it plus I would need to get a chip guard to control the spray off the spindle. One of the few things I don't care for on this lathe is the access to the coolant tank and pump.

Which DRO did you get?

Hi Jay, wouldn't I need to change the foot brake switch out to use the mechanical feature and the VFD from the start?

I like the idea of the toggle jog, its high on my list. I don't have the wiring for it yet. I'm not going to put a P-switch on for a while. if ever.

I like the Kool-Mist over a flood system, way less mess in my opinion, for what I do. I can move it to/from the Super-Max, where it has lived for the last 33 years, as needed too. The base needs to have front access to the coolant system, anything else needs re-thought out. I am going to place the lathe as close to the wall as possible both to the rear and tail stock end (of course leaving room to remove the tail stock).

I am going to remove the skirt below the pullout pan and install ball bearing slides/frame and make a pullout shelf for all the lathe related items and put the skirt on the front of it. It won't even be noticeable.

I got the PM 2 axis DRO from Matt.

Last edited:
Back