PM-1440GS or PM1340GT lathe or maybe a PM1440GT

Well all, the deed is done. I have a PM1440GT 3 phase on order, with a bunch of goodies to go with it. Talk about blowing your budget, I doubled it. LOL. Oh, they are in stock too! My wait won't be long this time.

Now all I need is to impose on a few of our very knowledgeable members for guidance. I have some parts to gather and a lot to learn.

:dancing banana: Awesome! You won't be disappointed.

Any time you need help spending more money we're her for ya!

Thanks Jay, I appreciate you guys helping me go $4K over my already raised budget. I don't deserve such a fine machine, but I'll get over it. LOL.

I picked up a 12" j&p box for the lathe and a 10" one for the mill this morning. That's a start. I will need guidance with what I need for the controls I want. Which look to be forward/reverse, speed pot, tach, accel control, decel control, perhaps a proximity sensor & bypass and may want VFD braking. Any thoughts on the matter?

I'm thinking the tach and speed pot in a box under the DRO, like the pictures of tachs I've seen.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I have electronic and mechanical braking.

Mine is setup with 2-speed braking via a switch. One setting is for 1-2 seconds for spindle speeds 1K or less and the other is set for 3-4 seconds is for above 1k rpm with a heavy chuck. I need to up the deceleration time on the high end as it will fault sometimes.

In reality I keep the braking set at the first setting (1-2 seconds) and use the mechanical brake for high speed. Electronic braking from high speed with a large chuck is not quick enough in some situations and if it faults it will free wheel. The mechanical brake has saved my bacon a few times where I'm not sure the electronic would have but I have a habit of turning at higher speeds than most.

I setup mine with the proximity stop but never use it and find it gets in the way so I have it disabled. I know others like them for threading up to a shoulder but I have no trouble without. YMMV.

Just in case you have any $$$$ left over may I recommend the http://www.ajaxtoolsupply.com/pba86jawsela.html :grin: (yeah I want one too)

COUGH... COUGH... CHOKE... CHOKE... I have PM "High Precision" 8" 3J and 4J Taiwanese chucks coming with the lathe. I would love to have a 5C chuck too but maybe later.

I might use electronic braking at threading speeds and mechanical over that, or just mechanical for everything. How does that sound? I don't want to get too technical.

We will expect a full review on the chucks.

I opted not to get the Chucks from Matt. I got a Gator 8" 3-jaw adjustable and a Gator 8" 4-jaw with two piece jaws so I could use soft jaws.

I just did a job in 2" Aluminum thin wall tubing (.o35" wall) that had internal snap ring grooves. A 6-jaw would have been nice to have.

The PM 8" 3J has two piece jaws but the 4J has reversible jaws (two piece would be nice). I hope "High Precision" means high quality.

The 8" 3 jaw I bought from PM as part of the upgrade package holds less than .001" TIR on anything I've tried it on so far.

Reactions: jer
Nice looking lathe, congrats! You can take the drama out of threading to a shoulder by turning tool upside down and threading in reverse moving towards tailstock. Sure makes life easy, no crashes, no worries. Joe P on you tube has video on it, highly recommended if you are not already aware of the specifics.

Reactions: jer
Thanks guys. I hope my chuck is as accurate. I had seen Joe do that come to think about it.

Back