1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

PM-1440GS or PM1340GT lathe or maybe a PM1440GT

Discussion in 'PRECISION-MATTHEWS' started by jer, Apr 6, 2017.

1. mksj

mksj Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Tucson
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

That is the same one I recommended to another 1440GT owner the other days, either great minds think alike or we are both getting senile and are looking at the same thing. Good to know. I am going to but together some schematics that use the basic contactors, but will have a few more extended control features if one wants to step it up. You can get a very nice install for minimal investment and get some very nice control features. The other option to keep the costs down is to mount the VFD in the headstock cabinet on some L brackets, and swing out the side panel for access.
    Thanks JBOLT.

2. jbolt

jbolt United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I'm pretty sure you recommended that one to me otherwise it probably would have been from Automation Direct.

3. jer

jer Active Member Active Member

City:
    SE
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Thanks Jay.

4. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

On/Off is through the e-stop. As delivered, when hooked up to power, the factory power supply is always under power. I added a 32A 110vac contactor controlled by a lighted 22mm switch switch to act as a main so all power is disconnected when off.

There is no factory wiring schematic in the manual. That may come later when PM prepares their own manuals.

5. jer

City:
    SE
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Thanks Jay, I think I will have a main on the machine or VFD box to kill the whole machine too.

6. jer

City:
    SE
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Well, the work started today. It was here around 1PM, picked it up 2PM, home 3PM and uncrated 4PM, done for the day.

jbolt likes this.
  7. jer

City:
    SE
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

You did good Matt. So far I can hardly even find a scuff in the paint. Everything looks very good on fit and finish. The dark grey base and the light blue-grey (off white) machine go together very well. I'll be cleaning this thing for a week.

I was afraid of how big it would be. It doesn't seem big at all, very compact size to me compared to some machines I've been around.

After seeing some of the shops you could eat off the floor here I'm ashamed to let anyone see my cluttered/unfinished shop.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  8. Kiwi Canuck

Kiwi Canuck Canada H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Langley
    State:
    British Columbia

-Return to Top-

Jer, congrats on the new machine.

I guess you know about getting all the cosmoline off as you've had to deal with it before but I noticed when using WD40 the nastier the rag got, the better it cleaned.

David

PS. We are ready for some pictures.

9. jer

City:
    SE
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

My problem is getting the pictures from my phone to my email. Then to my facebook, I guess, I'm not up on these things. If I can get them to my email, I run out of knowledge on the rest. I guess its one of the disadvantages of being out enough to retire. LOL

We'll see what I can do.

After seeing some of you guys shops that I could eat off the floor I'm ashamed to show pictures from in my cluttered/unfinished shop.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  10. Kiwi Canuck

Kiwi Canuck Canada H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Langley
    State:
    British Columbia

-Return to Top-

There is probably a post or two on here how to post pictures.

I plug my phone into my computer via the USB charging cable, it asks me if I want to open the files on the phone and then copy the ones I want to my computer/pictures directory.

I then open up Photobucket.com which I use to host my pictures and then upload the pictures to Photobucket.
    It's mostly follow the commands, there are other photo hosting sites that some people think are better but I stated with PB and just live with that fact that's it slow sometimes. I've heard paid subscriptions work better and you don't get pop up adverts.

Then once the pictures are uploaded to Photobucket, on the right side there is a few boxes with links in them, I copy the link "direct" using Control "C" and then go back to my posting, click the place where I want the photo to appear and then go up to the top of the post and find the little picture icon, click it and then "Control "P" to paste the link into the window, click OK and the image appears in the post, keep doing it for the next picture etc.

I always put 2 spaces between pictures so they are spaced out a little which makes them look better IMO.

Good luck.

David.

11. jer

City:
    SE
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Thanks David, I have a PB account but haven't used it in years. I'll try it a little later.

12. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Get the photos onto your puter and when posting use the "Upload a File" button then browse to your photo on the puter. It resizes the photo and uploads to the HM server. That way the photos won't disappear if you close your off-site hosting account.

13. jer

City:
    SE
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Thanks Jay. The gear cover on my GT seems to fit the machine just right. Maybe they got some of the bugs/kinks worked out. I haven't found anything that looks other than first rate. If it runs as good as it looks I will be ecstatic. It doesn't seem as big as I thought it would be, very compact machine. Even if it is over 20" wider and 4-5 times the weight of the 1030V.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  14. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Excellent!

I think because my machine was in the very first batch and the factory was late in delivering that some things got rushed in assembly. Mechanically it has been perfect.

It's a nice size machine for a garage shop.

What are you going to do with the 1030V? Have you ever considered CNC........? We would be more than glad to help you spend more of your money. :eek 2: :grin:

15. jer

City:
    SE
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Jay, I think I will be stretching what's left of my functioning brain cells to do the VFD and related conversion on the new GT. Lets get me through that first. LOL. A DRO, speed pot, tach, electronic braking and reversible jog are all I am thinking about adding to the VFD basics. I'm thinking about not using the flood coolant system and just using my Kool-Mist unit on both the mill and lathe.

If it works out the 1030 will be sold to buy more goodies for the GT. If not, a second machine in the shop works for me too.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  16. jer

City:
    SE
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Picking it up at the dock
    PM1440GT-1.jpg

PM1440GT-2.jpg

20170420_143720_1492792627673.jpg

At home
    PM1440GT-4.jpg

In the shop
    PM1440GT-5.jpg PM1440GT-6.jpg

I hope they turned out ok Jay.

I started cleaning it up today.

Silverbullet, wrmiller and darkzero like this.
  17. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Sheesh...it's not even off the pallet. What have you been doing all day????:rolleyes: :grin:

Looks good Jerry! Now get that baby wired up!

18. jer

City:
    SE
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Well, it was cold and rainy today. I did use a lot of paper towels and WD40. It's pretty well cleaned up. I sent Mark an email and will be getting started on the wiring soon.

I'm going to keep it simple. I think I want the below features, (subject to your/Marks thoughts/suggestions)

1 speed pot and faceplate
    2 tach and box (under the DRO head)
    3 braking resistor
    4 toggle jog

I am wondering if having just the electronic braking on the e-stop and foot brake will be adequate. The toggle jog seems to be the only item I don't know the hookup for.

I'm thinking about not using the coolant system that comes on the GT and using my Kool-Mist. That frees up a hole in the face for the speed pot or an aux. power switch.

I hope to start the DRO install next week.

19. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

If you go with all electronic braking use the mechanical brake first so you can compare. If you decide to later use the mechanical brake you would just need to change the switch a s few parameters in the VFD.

The fwd/rev jog requires adding some diodes the the wiring. Not too complicated.

I wanted the coolant system but have not had a job yet that has justified using it plus I would need to get a chip guard to control the spray off the spindle. One of the few things I don't care for on this lathe is the access to the coolant tank and pump.

Which DRO did you get?

20. jer

City:
    SE
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Hi Jay, wouldn't I need to change the foot brake switch out to use the mechanical feature and the VFD from the start?

I like the idea of the toggle jog, its high on my list. I don't have the wiring for it yet. I'm not going to put a P-switch on for a while. if ever.

I like the Kool-Mist over a flood system, way less mess in my opinion, for what I do. I can move it to/from the Super-Max, where it has lived for the last 33 years, as needed too. The base needs to have front access to the coolant system, anything else needs re-thought out. I am going to place the lathe as close to the wall as possible both to the rear and tail stock end (of course leaving room to remove the tail stock).

I am going to remove the skirt below the pullout pan and install ball bearing slides/frame and make a pullout shelf for all the lathe related items and put the skirt on the front of it. It won't even be noticeable.

I got the PM 2 axis DRO from Matt.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  21. jbolt

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

When programming the VFD just set the braking to freewheel and try the mechanical brake. This will make more sense when you get to the programming. If I can do it anyone can. LOL

I like the skirt/shelf mod idea! Looking forward to see how that works out.

22. jer

City:
    SE
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

My enter key stuttered.

23. jer

City:
    SE
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

How will the vfd know to freewheel without a switch to signal to do so?

I bet you get the "drawer" built before I do. I could put the VFD in the drawer on the left side. I really like your build.

I started looking at the wiring and pulling wires out of the raceways today. I'm Leary to start removing wires. LOL.

24. mksj

mksj Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Tucson
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

The foot brake limit switch is currently a single pole, which is NC. When you step on the brake it disconnects the 24VAC to the contactors and breaks all the motion contacts, contactors and de energizes the power contactor. The spindle switch must be placed in the stop position for the power contactor to reset. You replace the current brake limit switch with a dual pole (DPDT) snap action limit switch, the second NO pole connect the P24 from the VFD to an input programmed to freewheel the VFD. This is in the program parameters sent to you. When the 24VAC pole is broken, the other separate switch connects the programed freewheel input to P24. The VFD will freewheel as long as the brake is pressed at any position. Should you just tap the brake and release it the VFD will implement a controlled stop. When going to other more elaborate relay control system, the way that everything works is a bit different, but you still need to replace the limit switch with a DPDT. I recommend what JBOLT has outlined which is to use the foot brake as a manual system. Having done a number of systems different ways, we also overlook that there are times when you want to use the manual brake to lock the spindle for things like manual tapping, or sometimes you want some form of controlled slow braking.

25. jer

City:
    SE
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Thanks Mark.

26. jer

City:
    SE
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

A little update, Mark and Jay have been a wealth of knowledge and a little (make that a lot) hand holding. I have stripped out the wiring needed in preparation for the VFD, programming and rewiring. While deciding on my wiring approach and which features I want to implement. I started mounting the DRO. The directions are the least wordy I have found so far. They give the required info if you look hard enough. You-tube was very helpful too. I need to fab one bracket this week for the Z axis scale and it will be done. I will do the X axis this week if time allows. I'm quite a bit shorter than Jay (jbolt) and I need to raise the lathe at least the height of a good set of leveling feet like Jay and others have. 2" may be enough for me. Now to decide on which one to use.

wrmiller and jbolt like this.
  27. wrmiller

wrmiller Chief Tinkerer H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Hereford
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

If you can figure out your 'ideal' height for the lathe, you will really appreciate that fact if you have to stand in front of it for any appreciable amount of time. My 1340GT is just on leveling feet, and it is a little too close to the floor for me (6'2"), but is usable. Hopefully soon I will be able to get my hands on a welder and make some proper extensions/small platforms to raise it up just a bit.

28. jer

City:
    SE
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

I understand completely Bill. Jay is 6'1" if I remember right and he raised his GT 6". I'm only 5'6" and have my 1030V at 46" spindle height if I remember right. I like to stand up not bending over the machine, my back won't take much of that before I'm done for the day. I think they come at 42" spindle height. I will try to use the cast leveling feet that came with it first before buying anything.

wrmiller likes this.
  29. Silverbullet

Silverbullet Active Member Active Member

City:
    Marlton
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

First I'm jealous but now I'm envious, you guys with wives that tell ya go ahead must be pure angels in there eyes. Mine bellyachs when I spend twenty bucks on used tooling. God bless you and your LATHES a dream for me , of course I want a old monarch around 14" . But I'm happy with my logan it'll outlast me.

chargerman111 likes this.
  30. jer

City:
    SE
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Thanks, we are all Blessed, each to a different measure. My wife WANTED me to do SOMETHING after I retired and has supported me with several machine purchases to setup my "farm" machine shop (that sounds good anyway), but the money came from my retirement funds. I think it is a good "investment".

wrmiller likes this.