PM-1440GS or PM1340GT lathe or maybe a PM1440GT

jer

Registered
Registered
Hi all, I am trying to find out more about a newer lathe Matt offers, the PM-1440GS. He says there out there but I can't find anyone that has one. I'm looking into a larger lathe and this one looks good on paper but I want to hear about real hands on experiences if possible. TIA.

UPDATE: I went with a PM1440GT 3 phase unit.

Last edited:
I have not heard of this model but looking at the ebay add it looks very similar to the Grizzly G0709 gunsmith lathe. The differences I see right away are the PM has a 2" spindle bore and 3 hp single phase motor vs the 1.57" bore and 2 HP motor of the G0709. The G0709 has the torque lock feature on the tail stock where the PM does not. I would ask if the ways are hardened. It does not say in the ebay add. Most people who have the G0709 seem happy with them.

pm-1440gs.jpg
g0709.jpg

You caught the differences jbolt. I have the Owners Manual on the PM1440GS and have compared the two for a few weeks and they seem to be the same machine except for the mentioned items. The GS seems to be a lot of lathe for $5999. The machines I am considering are the PM1236, PM1236T, PM1340GT and the PM1440GS. Two of the above are in stock and the others should be here in June. It is hard to make a decision on machines you have never seen. Any of them will be a big step up in size. They all would be great.

I hear you on buying sight unseen. When I purchased my PM-1440GT the very first run was still being made at the factory so it was a big unknown to everyone. No regrets now.

The G0709 was on my short list when I was looking. The PM-1440GS would have been also if I had know about them. I really like the D1-5 spindle nose over the D1-4 and I wouldn't want to do without a 2" spindle bore now.

Everyone here who has a PM-130GT likes them a lot. I wanted a pull out chip tray, foot brake and coolant system so it was not on my list but it looks like a very capable lathe.

My two cents: If you have room and the budget get as big as you can afford.

Happy hunting.

Your wants seem to mirror mine on features. I want a cast iron base, foot brake, pull out chip tray and the 2" spindle bore is nice too. The PM1340GT looks to be a very good machine but I want some features it doesn't have. I can't afford a PM1440GT so the PM1440GS fits the bill. I know Matt has sold around 100 of them but I can't find out much other than what the Manual and Matt say. The GS is a Chinese machine but Matt says "the build quality is good, but it is a Chinese machine."

Just to muddy the waters some there will be a cast iron base for the PM1236 out very soon, as in next week, and the new PM1236T will be out in June. The 1236 falls just short of my needs and the 1236T is close to the 1340GT in features so I am back to the PM1340GT or the PM1440GS.

Hopefully a PM1440GS owner will chime in. I had the same problem when I bought my PM1030V a couple of years back. There were 40/60 out but nobody was writing about them either.

The PM-1440GS are no longer listed on eBay, both sold. The 3Hp motor, larger spindle and DRO would swing me to the PM vs. the Grizzly.
One more to look at, just to muddy the waters, not sure of where it is produced (I think it is Chinese origin): http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-Swg-40-c...-ENGINE-LATHE-D1-4-with-1-1-2-bo/152486846396
Not sure about the 1236 size given you seem to want something more substantial, I would go for a 1340GT between the two. Since you have had a Chinese lathe previously, you probably for familiar with some of the fit/finish issue that are often annoying but not major. All will get the job done and there are a number of reviews on the G0709 which appears very similar, but if you want to go big than the 1440 would be the way to go. I have used similar 1440 machines with cast iron bases, they definitely have that solid planted feeling, and will pretty much turn anything with ease that you can get on it. Like the pull out chip tray if you do a lot of heavy machining. Also nice is usually 1 or 2 change gears covers everything on these models.

I would definitely look at better chucks and additional accessories you would want, so more as a total package/cost. I have a 1340GT and it is a very nice lathe, for me it fits my needs, but if the 1440GT was available at the time I would have gone with that. I just did not want to deal with the fit/finish issues I have had on previous Chinese mainland produced machines. But if I where turning larger stock or aggressively cutting stock, than I would go with a 1440. Personally I prefer an enclosed universal gearbox and a larger spindle bore when available.

Thanks for your insight Mark. I am considering all the above machines and the GS looks like it would be more than I would ever need. I probably would never need 3 phase but who knows later on, I put a 3 HP Lenze SMVector on my Super-Max knee mill last year and its great.

My wife told me to get the PM1440GT and be done with it. Hows that for a great wife? Shes mighty loose with my retirement isn't she? I might take her up on that. LOL.

Last edited:
My wife says the same thing, at this age if you can buy once and be happy it is worth it, certainly have worked hard through the years. I would go 3 phase, just be aware that in my experience the VFDs do not work well with 2 speed motors. I have been helping a number of individuals do a simple VFD conversion that uses the contactors, very quick and you are up and running with minimal additional expense. My vote would be for the 3 phase 1440GT, you know what your going to get and it will put a smile on your face every time you use it. QED. :beguiled:

Truthfully the PM1340GT is the best of both worlds in my opinion. If I can work it out that is the way to go. 3 phase and VFD would be the first things to do. I'm not very knowledgeable in the electronics needed. My field was 39+ years with an REA on transmission/distribution systems. We quit at the meter pole and my "schooling" was in the 70s. LOL.

Truthfully the PM1340GT is the best of both worlds in my opinion. If I can work it out that is the way to go. 3 phase and VFD would be the first things to do. I'm not very knowledgeable in the electronics needed. My field was 39+ years with an REA on transmission/distribution systems. We quit at the meter pole and my "schooling" was in the 70s. LOL.

mksj can help you with the VFD, he is the resident expert here. He helped me get my PM1340GT up and running.

Is that a Miata?

Back