Pm 1440-hd Heavy Duty Lathe

I like the spider you made. If you don't mind I may have to copy that for my lathe

Well I was hoping to get my machine by the end of July. But from previous post maybe not????

Be careful. With that kind of attitude, I will break out some pictures of an RML 1640 or the like....

Seriously though, at least the 1440HD is a step up from the 12x36 (and 13x40 or 14x40 built on the same frame), with more mass and a 10.5" wide bed (vs 7" on the 12x36 class). I certainly would be happy with it.

Gunrunner you need to order a set of these for the Z axis hand crank. Bill did you just spit coffee on your monitor? :rofl:

View attachment 253356

Jim if I melted that lathe down I might have enough to cast a chuck for the Giddings and Lewis lathe I used to run.

Be careful. With that kind of attitude, I will break out some pictures of an RML 1640 or the like....

Seriously though, at least the 1440HD is a step up from the 12x36 (and 13x40 or 14x40 built on the same frame), with more mass and a 10.5" wide bed (vs 7" on the 12x36 class). I certainly would be happy with it.

The 1440HD while it looks impressive only has a D1-4 spindle that's not HD in my book. The PBA 8" inch chuck looks small even on my D1-5 spindle, if I step up to a larger lathe it will have a D1-6 spindle with a 2" bore. By the way I was practicing stainless TIG welding on my BuildPro welding table this weekend. What a joy that TIG welder is to use, quiet, no smoke, quite relaxing.

By the way...my BuildPro welding table ... BLAH BLAH BLAH

There, fixed it for you! :burned up:

Yeah, I really like TIG welding.... no mess, no fuss, just push the tiny blob of metal around with the arc. It is easy to forget what temperatures you are working with, and pick up the workpiece after your done just wearing those thin TIG gloves.... ouch.

BTW, 30% off one day coupon at Enco (code ONEDAY). New BXA Aloris QCTP is on its way to me. If you have been waiting to buy, now is the time.

Last edited:
Back