Pm 1440-hd Heavy Duty Lathe

rbjscott

Registered
Registered
I am about to order this lathe. Any comments or opinions are welcome. Does any one have one of these lathes.

Very impressive lathe, especially given the bed width (10.5") to swing ratio. Should be very stout. If I wasn't planning to do rifle work (short headstock is desirable for this), and was capable of handling a machine that weighs that much it I would already own one. :D

Of course we require copious amounts of pics and a full write-up once you get this Bad Boy!

Well just pulled the trigger so to speak. Now just impatiently wait!

What did Matt give you for a timeframe?

10 to 12 weeks, but I am laid up for 6 weeks after foot surgery. You would think after 50 years as a machinist a lathe would not excite me.

Well you should be up and hobbling around by the time it gets there! :)

I am about to order this lathe. Any comments or opinions are welcome. Does any one have one of these lathes.
I've had my 1440HD for around a year and love it. As it is a 1 piece unit all cast base and lathe it's a heavy one to move but well worth it.
After all the stories going around about sand left in the castings on Asian machines I tore my entire unit down prior to ever powering it up. The gear boxes were all spotless, all pins and lever detente lined up properly.
I can honestly say when this machine was delivered to me it was all properly assembled and in perfect operating condition.
Only issue I had was time to get it, when I ordered my lathe from Matt there were some changes being made and it ended up taking about a year to get it.
Matt was very up front with me and offered several options to get a refund and or purchase a different machine. I decided to stick it out as this was the one I wanted and waited for it to arrive.
I am soooo happy I waited and got this lathe, and Matt took very good care of me because I had to wait so long. Since then I have made other purchases from him and have never been disappointed.
If you were in Tucson I would gladly let you see it, I am sure you will be very happy with the purchase.

I too have heard all the horror stories about sand/grit/junk in the castings and have yet to buy a Asian machine that has any. It probably has something to do with who is ordering the machines.

Very jealous of your 1440HD. I used to live in the Tucson area, and if lucky will return in a few years after this day job stuff. Maybe you'll still have that beast when I get back down there. :)

I too have heard all the horror stories about sand/grit/junk in the castings and have yet to buy a Asian machine that has any. It probably has something to do with who is ordering the machines.

Very jealous of your 1440HD. I used to live in the Tucson area, and if lucky will return in a few years after this day job stuff. Maybe you'll still have that beast when I get back down there. :)
I've had my 1440HD for around a year and love it. As it is a 1 piece unit all cast base and lathe it's a heavy one to move but well worth it.
After all the stories going around about sand left in the castings on Asian machines I tore my entire unit down prior to ever powering it up. The gear boxes were all spotless, all pins and lever detente lined up properly.
I can honestly say when this machine was delivered to me it was all properly assembled and in perfect operating condition.
Only issue I had was time to get it, when I ordered my lathe from Matt there were some changes being made and it ended up taking about a year to get it.
Matt was very up front with me and offered several options to get a refund and or purchase a different machine. I decided to stick it out as this was the one I wanted and waited for it to arrive.
I am soooo happy I waited and got this lathe, and Matt took very good care of me because I had to wait so long. Since then I have made other purchases from him and have never been disappointed.
If you were in Tucson I would gladly let you see it, I am sure you will be very happy with the purchase.
Sure hope I don't have to wait a year. Mat said 10 to12 weeks. Looking forward to having a new lathe. My present lathe is 1919 13 inch South Bend that is very tired at best.

...The gear boxes were all spotless, all pins and lever detente lined up properly....
Awesome to hear good review like this. I had heard negative things about the Jet 1440W (which looks very similar), and thought this one might have similar problems. Nice to see that Matt is keeping his products a cut above the rest.

Back