1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Pm 1440-hd Heavy Duty Lathe

Discussion in 'PRECISION-MATTHEWS' started by rbjscott, May 4, 2015.

1. rbjscott

rbjscott Active Member Active Member

City:
    Dayton
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

I am about to order this lathe. Any comments or opinions are welcome. Does any one have one of these lathes.

2. wrmiller

wrmiller Chief Tinkerer H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Hereford
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

Very impressive lathe, especially given the bed width (10.5") to swing ratio. Should be very stout. If I wasn't planning to do rifle work (short headstock is desirable for this), and was capable of handling a machine that weighs that much it I would already own one. :D

Of course we require copious amounts of pics and a full write-up once you get this Bad Boy!

3. rbjscott

City:
    Dayton
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Well just pulled the trigger so to speak. Now just impatiently wait!

4. wrmiller

City:
    Hereford
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

What did Matt give you for a timeframe?

5. rbjscott

City:
    Dayton
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

10 to 12 weeks, but I am laid up for 6 weeks after foot surgery. You would think after 50 years as a machinist a lathe would not excite me.

6. wrmiller

City:
    Hereford
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

Well you should be up and hobbling around by the time it gets there! :)

7. meopm1

meopm1 United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Tucson
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

I've had my 1440HD for around a year and love it. As it is a 1 piece unit all cast base and lathe it's a heavy one to move but well worth it.
    After all the stories going around about sand left in the castings on Asian machines I tore my entire unit down prior to ever powering it up. The gear boxes were all spotless, all pins and lever detente lined up properly.
    I can honestly say when this machine was delivered to me it was all properly assembled and in perfect operating condition.
    Only issue I had was time to get it, when I ordered my lathe from Matt there were some changes being made and it ended up taking about a year to get it.
    Matt was very up front with me and offered several options to get a refund and or purchase a different machine. I decided to stick it out as this was the one I wanted and waited for it to arrive.
    I am soooo happy I waited and got this lathe, and Matt took very good care of me because I had to wait so long. Since then I have made other purchases from him and have never been disappointed.
    If you were in Tucson I would gladly let you see it, I am sure you will be very happy with the purchase.

wrmiller likes this.
  8. wrmiller

City:
    Hereford
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

I too have heard all the horror stories about sand/grit/junk in the castings and have yet to buy a Asian machine that has any. It probably has something to do with who is ordering the machines.

Very jealous of your 1440HD. I used to live in the Tucson area, and if lucky will return in a few years after this day job stuff. Maybe you'll still have that beast when I get back down there. :)

9. rbjscott

City:
    Dayton
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Sure hope I don't have to wait a year. Mat said 10 to12 weeks. Looking forward to having a new lathe. My present lathe is 1919 13 inch South Bend that is very tired at best.

10. tmarks11

tmarks11 Active User Active Member

City:
    Port Orchard
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Awesome to hear good review like this. I had heard negative things about the Jet 1440W (which looks very similar), and thought this one might have similar problems. Nice to see that Matt is keeping his products a cut above the rest.

11. meopm1

City:
    Tucson
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

rbjscott, Matt is and has always been great with on time lines, I would not worry.
    On of the reasons I went with him over several others that have the same machine is because he spends a lot of time with the factories cherry picking the best product. The other was although several companies sell this same machine for a very wide price difference there are some things each privet label (Precision Mathews, Jet, Clark and several others) do spec like the type of electronics and bearings. Before I made my purchase I can tell you I looked at over 5 of these same machines all under different names. Matt was in the lower third when it came to price however he was the only one willing to talk about his specs on these parts. I can tell you everything in the PM machine is top quality. Can also tell you first hand some far more well known names spec much lower quality bearings and electronics.
    Anyway like I said I would not worry about getting it in the time span you have been told, Matt was totally up front with me on the time line and although it took a year I knew that it would going into it. Don't know if you have actualy seen one yet but beleive me it will be worth every penny paid and minuet spent waiting when you see it. You might plan on a fork lift or something to unload and place it as it is a heavy one and I am pretty sure the weight they have on it is VERY conservative judging from the sounds my fork lift made when picking it up. Lucky for me we had a couple spare fat guys sitting around to pile on the back of the lift. :)

12. markknx

markknx Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Portage
    State:
    Indiana

-Return to Top-

WHAT? I thought all machinists got excited about new toys.:cheer: Oh the damage I could do with a lathe of that size.:chemist:
    Hope you get it on time. and your foot heels soon.
    Mark

13. wrmiller

City:
    Hereford
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

Wasn't me! I left Tucson a couple of years ago. :rolleyes:

14. bvd1940

bvd1940 United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Blackfoot
    State:
    Idaho

-Return to Top-

I have been happy with my PM 1440 & Matt.
    I think you will enjoy getting a new unclapped machine to run.

15. meopm1

City:
    Tucson
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

Bob, found some more photos of my PM1440hd when I first got it, the spider on the spindle end did not come with it that was my first project when I got it. The second was a drain valve and extention for the head stock
    oil. The first time I drained it I realized it was going to get all ove rhe gears, belts and motor, had to change that. IMAG0768.jpg IMAG0769.jpg IMAG0770.jpg Feeds.jpg IMAG0771.jpg Feeds.jpg IMAG0789.jpg IMAG0790.jpg IMAG0816.jpg Lathe 1.jpg IMAG0800.jpg IMAG0995.jpg IMAG0996.jpg IMAG0768.jpg IMAG0769.jpg IMAG0770.jpg Feeds.jpg IMAG0771.jpg Feeds.jpg IMAG0789.jpg IMAG0790.jpg IMAG0816.jpg Lathe 1.jpg IMAG0800.jpg IMAG0995.jpg IMAG0996.jpg

wrmiller likes this.
  16. rbjscott

City:
    Dayton
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the picture. I am ready to receive my lathe. My hobble rat is increasing!

17. wrmiller

City:
    Hereford
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

Nice lathe! :applause:

18. rbjscott

City:
    Dayton
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

The 14X40 is still on schedule for middle to end of July.

19. Dynafoiler

Dynafoiler United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Cleves
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

Spoke to Matt last Sat about stopping up & checking out the 1440HD in person. Unfortunately there's none in stock & a 10-12 week wait. 10 were ordered, 6 have been spoken for. After speaking to a fellow member, there may be only 3 left.......

20. mksj

mksj Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Tucson
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

That is one beautiful and massive machine. When you consider the price includes shipping, it is a steal if you need that level of capacity and rigidity.

21. KenL

KenL United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Winchester
    State:
    Kentucky

-Return to Top-

I like the spider you made. If you don't mind I may have to copy that for my lathe

22. rbjscott

City:
    Dayton
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Well I was hoping to get my machine by the end of July. But from previous post maybe not????

23. rbjscott

City:
    Dayton
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Deleted msg.

24. tmarks11

City:
    Port Orchard
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Based upon meopm1's report and pictures, I would say it is worth waiting for. Wish I had gone for one of those.

Let me repost one of his pictures just in case Coolidge wanders by.... he has a weakness for big, heavy lathes. Plus, I owe him one because of his welding table posts...

[​IMG]

maker of things likes this.
  25. coolidge

coolidge United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Battle Ground
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Meh, its too small for me.

26. tmarks11

City:
    Port Orchard
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Be careful. With that kind of attitude, I will break out some pictures of an RML 1640 or the like....

Seriously though, at least the 1440HD is a step up from the 12x36 (and 13x40 or 14x40 built on the same frame), with more mass and a 10.5" wide bed (vs 7" on the 12x36 class). I certainly would be happy with it.

27. JimDawson

JimDawson Global Moderator Staff Member Director

City:
    Sandy
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

28. coolidge

City:
    Battle Ground
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Jim if I melted that lathe down I might have enough to cast a chuck for the Giddings and Lewis lathe I used to run.

29. coolidge

City:
    Battle Ground
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

The 1440HD while it looks impressive only has a D1-4 spindle that's not HD in my book. The PBA 8" inch chuck looks small even on my D1-5 spindle, if I step up to a larger lathe it will have a D1-6 spindle with a 2" bore. By the way I was practicing stainless TIG welding on my BuildPro welding table this weekend. What a joy that TIG welder is to use, quiet, no smoke, quite relaxing.

30. tmarks11

City:
    Port Orchard
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

There, fixed it for you! :burned up:

Yeah, I really like TIG welding.... no mess, no fuss, just push the tiny blob of metal around with the arc. It is easy to forget what temperatures you are working with, and pick up the workpiece after your done just wearing those thin TIG gloves.... ouch.

BTW, 30% off one day coupon at Enco (code ONEDAY). New BXA Aloris QCTP is on its way to me. If you have been waiting to buy, now is the time.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015