Pm 1340 Gt Vfd Question

I reviewed the TECO JNEV series and Dura Pulsed VFD manuals and the 24V voltage that is used for the digital inputs signals has a maximum current of 20mA and is not sufficient to drive the relay and LED light in the schematic provided.
Good catch. You could always use a $8 ice cube relay from the digital output of the VFD to drive the contractor.

I have a Generac load unloader for my genset, and that is what it does. Control signal drives 24V ice cube relay, relay drives contractor.

Sorry for jumping in late here, and not trying to hijack. Smack accordingly if I'm out of line but, I too am very seriously looking at a variable speed PM. I THOUGHT I had my mind made up on a "Green" machine, but while lurking another site (one not so friendly to overseas machines) someone posted a link to the 1440 BV. So, for the 9,968th time, I'm back to square 1 in my decision making process.
I could go on about my power situation, needs, etc. but I'm still not sure if I'm being rude by jumping in at this point....

I am in a similar spot, NoSqib ! What decided for me was a post on a parallel thread here in which Matt himself posted comments. Then today when I called to check on availability of a lathe and a mill I ended up talking to Matt directly. I basically chucked my green catalog. But the problem for me now is should I really go for the 1340GT ? You know, I started looking at the 602, crossed over to the 1127, now I am looking at the 1340. Slightly crazy. But then, I probably will not get another lathe rest of my life.

I don't know if I understood GA Gyro correctly, but if I did, it sounds like getting the 1340GT with a 3 phase motor, (and the gear box); then adding a VFD is the way to end up with the best results. I wonder, is the 2 HP motor 3 phase? ... It's listed as an option: 220V, 3 phase, 2 HP:

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/files/PM-1340GT_Quote_All_Customers.pdf

Now I am going to watch (for the n-th time) the 30 minute review of the 1340GT with a new mind set.

Thanks for all your comments.

Available in 1ph and 3ph with a 2hp 220v motor. Same price. If you get the 3ph motor, you can add the VFD and use the stock motor. Adding A VFD is not a drop in project. Most people gut the control box, some mount the VFD in the cabinet, others on the wall. There is a lot of information in this forum of how to do it, examples, and support. I think we all start with buying something smaller and less expensive, put you evolve to the buy it once philosophy. It does stretch the budget by quite a bit.

I am in a similar spot, NoSqib ! What decided for me was a post on a parallel thread here in which Matt himself posted comments. Then today when I called to check on availability of a lathe and a mill I ended up talking to Matt directly. I basically chucked my green catalog. But the problem for me now is should I really go for the 1340GT ? You know, I started looking at the 602, crossed over to the 1127, now I am looking at the 1340. Slightly crazy. But then, I probably will not get another lathe rest of my life.

I don't know if I understood GA Gyro correctly, but if I did, it sounds like getting the 1340GT with a 3 phase motor, (and the gear box); then adding a VFD is the way to end up with the best results. I wonder, is the 2 HP motor 3 phase? ... It's listed as an option: 220V, 3 phase, 2 HP:

Now I am going to watch (for the n-th time) the 30 minute review of the 1340GT with a new mind set.

Yes, that is what I was trying to say... IMO the 1340GT with 3PH motor and VFD is the better choice... my opinion... and it appears the opinion of many here.

As to the VFD... while it does require wiring, it is not rocket science. There are a number of folks here who know nothing about wiring, which have carefully followed others, and done it. If one feels they do not want to attack electricity alone, a friend who does would be a good investment for a rainy weekend.

I am also one that went back and forth for months on which machines to buy... ended up with the PM935TS and PM1340GT, both with 3PH motors and VFD's. My thinking is similar to yours... I did not want to find I needed more machine and upgrade, rather purchase a little too much machine up front, and grow into it. In the future, I may have a need for a CNC mill... at this time that appears to be the only machine upgrade I see in my future.

Thanks. I am making a spread sheet my "cart". I probably will have left out stuff I need which I can get from Matt. Maybe I should post it for comments.

Yes, that is what I was trying to say... IMO the 1340GT with 3PH motor and VFD is the better choice... my opinion... and it appears the opinion of many here.

As to the VFD... while it does require wiring, it is not rocket science. There are a number of folks here who know nothing about wiring, which have carefully followed others, and done it. If one feels they do not want to attack electricity alone, a friend who does would be a good investment for a rainy weekend.

I am also one that went back and forth for months on which machines to buy... ended up with the PM935TS and PM1340GT, both with 3PH motors and VFD's. My thinking is similar to yours... I did not want to find I needed more machine and upgrade, rather purchase a little too much machine up front, and grow into it. In the future, I may have a need for a CNC mill... at this time that appears to be the only machine upgrade I see in my future.

When you say 3PH, do you mean 3 phase? For the 940 Matt's site doesn't list the 3 phase as an option: I'll make a note to ask for it.

When you say 3PH, do you mean 3 phase? For the 940 Matt's site doesn't list the 3 phase as an option: I'll make a note to ask for it.

Yes, when I say 3PH... I mean 3 phase...
As opposed to 3HP... which is 3 horsepower.

My mill is both 3PH and 3HP... gets confusing.

I am sure the 940 will be available with a 3PH motor... unless Matt plans to offer them with brushless DC motors. This version, if it is similar to the 932VS, has a different gearbox and a truly variable speed DC motor... and it costs more. It is suitable for CNC applications though.
Honestly, I do not know how the 940 will come. I do know that Matt designs the features himself, and the factories build them to his specs.
Subtle things like better bearings, NO plastic gears (some grizzly's have plastic gears), beefier parts, etc...
Comparing Matt's machines to others is truly an apples to oranges arrangement (definitely not apples to apples).

Ha,
I know exactly how you feel. I will tell you that I am one who researches things into the ground. Most of the time I end up beating my head into the wall I research it so much (good thing I'm not ready to purchase just yet).
One thing that really had me scratching my head was wiring. I consider myself to be above average in the mechanically inclined area, but electrical, nope. That being said, I was "gun shy" about a 3 phase machine, vfd, etc. But I have watched literally hundreds of videos on it, and I think anyone with a little inclination could pull it off. Actually, I've almost decided to complicate it more by using a VFD with a detachable face. Check out the GS2. Not crazy expensive, very straight forward, and almost limitless options. I especially like that for little money, you can add a breaking resistor. Take a few min and look at this.

ugh, apparently my ignorance of forum's has shown again. I can't figure out how to make the video show up like your, it just looks like a link. sorry.

Back