Pm 1340 Gt Vfd Question

Hi Steve,
I am not quite sure about how you want to setup your system. If you try to make it work with the current contactors and main 24VAC power transformer, you just need to stripout the L1-L3 contactor power wiring and then use the contacts on the forward contactor say L1 to control the VFD forward input, and likewise on the reverse contactor. The attached picture, shows the general high voltage black wiring that would need to be removed, including the thermal overload switch, 220V would be connected directly to the transformer, and the blue lines would be for/rev connections to the VFD. You could do this and see if the contactors work as expected, I can then draw you a simple connection diagram for the jog to work, but you will need a different switch. The problem is you really need to know what your doing and where all the high voltage and low voltage connections go, otherwise it could be very dangerous. I do not mean to be draconian about this, but it is part of the reason I usually suggest stripping all the old relays/wiring an using a single 4P relay. Only if you go with the single 4P relay, that is powered by the VFD, do you need to worry about the total power drain for the VFD 24VDC system. You can still keep the main VAC power transformer in either case to power your light, which is 24VAC.

If you want, you can PM me your email and I can try to provide some additional information or a possible schematic offline. I am not hired, but I try to help others as best as possible. I have a good understanding of the control/VFD system only by learning, my professional background is medicine.
Mark
PM1340GT Contactors.jpg

Hi Steve,
I am not quite sure about how you want to setup your system. If you try to make it work with the current contactors and main 24VAC power transformer, you just need to stripout the L1-L3 contactor power wiring and then use the contacts on the forward contactor say L1 to control the VFD forward input, and likewise on the reverse contactor. The attached picture, shows the general high voltage black wiring that would need to be removed, including the thermal overload switch, 220V would be connected directly to the transformer, and the blue lines would be for/rev connections to the VFD. You could do this and see if the contactors work as expected, I can then draw you a simple connection diagram for the jog to work, but you will need a different switch. The problem is you really need to know what your doing and where all the high voltage and low voltage connections go, otherwise it could be very dangerous. I do not mean to be draconian about this, but it is part of the reason I usually suggest stripping all the old relays/wiring an using a single 4P relay. Only if you go with the single 4P relay, that is powered by the VFD, do you need to worry about the total power drain for the VFD 24VDC system. You can still keep the main VAC power transformer in either case to power your light, which is 24VAC.

If you want, you can PM me your email and I can try to provide some additional information or a possible schematic offline. I am not hired, but I try to help others as best as possible. I have a good understanding of the control/VFD system only by learning, my professional background is medicine.
Mark
View attachment 109042
Thanks,
I will study the photo tomorrow. This evening I ran 220 V to the VFD and connected the motor leads to the VFD. it lit up and acted OK, but I don't know how to make the motor run. I will study teh book and then work out the controls.
Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:
Reading these old threads has been a huge help! I have a Gs2 VFD and a 1440 3ph lathe I am working to sync up. Did you complete the conversion? How has it been working?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back