PM-1127VF-LB

Thank you for the info and time. I am going to go 29x60 on the top and wait for the lathe. Those holes need to be where I need them. Thanks again!

View attachment 258662

Picture with a tape for scale...

From the headstock side of the chip pan, the foot starts at 2.5" and ends at 12". 1/2" holes at 3" and 11.25". Tailstock foot starts at 41" ends at 48". Bolt hole at 44".

From the front of the chip pan, the headstock foot starts at 4-5/8 ends at 11.5". It's U shaped. The back bolt pattern mirrors the front 6" back, hole center to center.

Tailstock bolts are also 6" apart, mirror of the front. From the pan, 4-5/8 to 11.75" for the foot. I'm sure the pan isn't a precision part, it was just a convenient reference point. It should be enough to make a bench though. Hope it helps and feel free to ask questions if you need more.

As for location and bench size, here's what I did. If I were to do it again, I would place the lathe closer to the front, and make the bench a bit shorter. That's preference, but things to think about.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/designing-a-wood-bench-for-a-lathe.63747/

I got a 1127 recently and built a similar bench as yours. And I am in Draper!

Nez
I'll give you a call when I get her set up.
Good Evening, gentlemen. Terry here and fairly new to machining. I took a machine shop course in high school. Worked for Hughes for three years in Torrance, California, and now at 74 am returning to machining as a hobby. I bought a 7X14 and am now feeling quite limited. I am torn between the 1127 but could go as far as the 1236T. Is there a good write-up of your experience with the 1236T? It appears it has now been about five years.

Hi Terry, @tredding I'm new to machining, so no experience on other machines but I have a 1236T and love it. The fit and finish is nice compared to some of the Chinese stuff I have owned over the years. I have the 3 phase unit wired through a VFD so I have a few extra controlls including variable speed.

Tim

Hi Terry, @tredding I'm new to machining, so no experience on other machines but I have a 1236T and love it. The fit and finish is nice compared to some of the Chinese stuff I have owned over the years. I have the 3 phase unit wired through a VFD so I have a few extra controlls including variable speed.

Tim
Tim, thank you for writing. I will likely order the PM-1236 for $2k less because it also comes with the stand, 4 jaw, plate, and oiler. It certainly seems like the best buy in the 12" range of machines. I was tempted to go with the PM-1228VF or the PM-1127VF, but interestingly the wife thinks I will be happiest with the PM-1236 of those lathes.

I have 220V in the shop and am guessing it is single phase. I guess before I place the order I need to know. The shop has a dedicated 100amp service and the electrical panel is easy to access. I currently have two 220V outlets for welders and machinery. But again, not sure about the phase. I am purely a hobbies, resuming machining after a 60 year break. I am moving up from a 7X14 lathe, which I will likely keep.

Any comments on lessoned learned with your higher quality PM-1236T would be greatly appreciated.

Terry

Hi Terry,

Like I said I'm a beginner. I can't say there were anything particular about my machine. Since I had never owned a lathe before every time I touched the lathe it was a learning experience. The only thing that I had to figure out or modify was the compound gib had a problem and I had to make a little shim/spacer to get it adjusted properly.

Tim

Very nice Tim. I am glad you were able to buy the PM-1236T. In this size lathe, I think that is the standard against which all others are judged. When I am on the phone Tuesday with PM, if they say the only 12" lathe immediately available is the PM-1236T I may be compelled to buy one. I will have to go back and look at the PM-1236T manual and see if it has the coolant pump. Ah, I see it is an option. This is certainly a bigger and more complex lathe than I thought I would be getting. But I bet we learn and enjoy machining for years to come.

Reference the 220V in the shop. I measured the voltage across the pin sockets and it appears I have single-phase outlets. I have a 50 amp single phase plug for a welder, and a 20 amp single phase outlet for the lathe. The guy that built this shop/metal 30X50 foot building did a nice job. So it appears the shop will have the TM-1236 10 feet inside the 10-foot garage door on the side with the electrical service, windows, and the ability to have natural light and see the front of the property. The TM-728T will be along the same wall so I have the ability to drive into the shop to off-load material and pick up finished projects. This has been a great place to read comments, consider equipment and learn. I have a couple of tabletop drill presses and two double-wheeled grinders. After I make the meat mallets I believe I will improve the shop by making items to better organize tools, and materials and manage workflow. Maybe a metal work bench for projects should be on the list. I wonder if there is a good source of metal. steel, here in Volusia county?

Thanks again for the help guys.

Terry

Back