PM-1127VF-LB - The long wait.....

I think that if I ever do get into a position where I can go to a bigger lathe, I'll call Matt first and see what he has on hand. :)

We've been big Apple fans for years in our house (2 Macs, 2 iphones, 2 iPads, etc.) and while my little SB lathe cost quite a bit more than others of a similar size, it's quality is the best I've seen in this size lathe. Definitely the best quality i've personally seen in a Chinese lathe. You pay for what you get/get what you pay for. Sometimes.

I still dream of getting a PM1127vf-lb some day... (even tho Ray doesn't like them very much...LOL)

Rich: When you do finally get your lathe, you need to post your impressions/experiences. Pics are required as well. :)

Bill

Last edited:
Contacted Matt back in Dec, was told 8 weeks for 1127VF. Called again mid Jan to place an order. Was told the factory was having quality problems and would be at least 12 15 weeks. I finally gave up and bought want I really wanted all along, a 12 x 36, this one from Smithy. Truck comes tomorrow.

Contacted Matt back in Dec, was told 8 weeks for 1127VF. Called again mid Jan to place an order. Was told the factory was having quality problems and would be at least 12 15 weeks. I finally gave up and bought want I really wanted all along, a 12 x 36, this one from Smithy. Truck comes tomorrow.

Damn..... Well, that certainly doesn't give me a nice warm fuzzy feeling. Matt didn't say anything like that to me the last times I inquired about my order. This starts pushing into late Spring and Summer, I might not be around for delivery since the wife and I want to do some travelling around the country during our retirement.

I still dream of getting a PM1127vf-lb some day... (even tho Ray doesn't like them very much...LOL)

Tell me more, please. I actually wouldn't mind if someone talked me completely out of this whole idea.

Damn..... Well, that certainly doesn't give me a nice warm fuzzy feeling. Matt didn't say anything like that to me the last times I inquired about my order. This starts pushing into late Spring and Summer, I might not be around for delivery since the wife and I want to do some travelling around the country during our retirement.

It's tough when this happens but, all Matt and I can do is take the beatings and offer to make things better. He's offered to upgrade your machine and give a discount on other things... If you wish to cancel, that too is always an option. He does his best and I try to support that too and I've also given away hundreds of hours of instructional material -Gratis!...

I wish I could tell you about the games distributors play when it comes to fulfilling orders... Matt takes orders, pays for high quality, inspects them when they arrive and typically spends 2-4 hours on the phone with every customer giving tips and support. He doesn't play games or switch to inferior models in the catalog when the good stuff runs dry. He sells the same machines because they are locked-down at the factory. And if they can't get it right, he doesn't accept them. -And that is why there are delays.

Ray

It's tough when this happens but, all Matt and I can do is take the beatings and offer to make things better. He's offered to upgrade your machine and give a discount on other things... If you wish to cancel, that too is always an option. He does his best and I try to support that too and I've also given away hundreds of hours of instructional material -Gratis!...

I wish I could tell you about the games distributors play when it comes to fulfilling orders... Matt takes orders, pays for high quality, inspects them when they arrive and typically spends 2-4 hours on the phone with every customer giving tips and support. He doesn't play games or switch to inferior models in the catalog when the good stuff runs dry. He sells the same machines because they are locked-down at the factory. And if they can't get it right, he doesn't accept them. -And that is why there are delays.

Ray

I do understand. Not downing Matt about this as I do understand being caught between a rock and a hard place when it comes to being a middle man.

I guess I just need to think about what I want to do. I really don't NEED something like this at all. Heck, I may only use it once or twice a YEAR. But I'm a confirmed tool-a-holic, so what are you going to do when the fever grabs you?

I would consider a bigger lathe that was more readily available, but heck, I would have to hire some brawn to install it, and not sure how well that would go anyway. This part of the country is kind of "third worldish" when it comes to the quality of the labor force.

Heck, wouldn't be the first time that I found out that what seemed like a good idea at the beginning turned out to be well, not so much in retrospect. Ask me about the major mods I did in one of my Corvettes sometime.... A two month job turned into four YEARS.

I do understand. Not downing Matt about this as I do understand being caught between a rock and a hard place when it comes to being a middle man.

I guess I just need to think about what I want to do. I really don't NEED something like this at all. Heck, I may only use it once or twice a YEAR. But I'm a confirmed tool-a-holic, so what are you going to do when the fever grabs you?

I would consider a bigger lathe that was more readily available, but heck, I would have to hire some brawn to install it, and not sure how well that would go anyway. This part of the country is kind of "third worldish" when it comes to the quality of the labor force.

Heck, wouldn't be the first time that I found out that what seemed like a good idea at the beginning turned out to be well, not so much in retrospect. Ask me about the major mods I did in one of my Corvettes sometime.... A two month job turned into four YEARS.

Life is a journey... Couldn't tell you the number of times I tried like crazy to accomplish some goal -and it turned out that after great effort and expense, it was a fizzle... On the flip side, I also spent countless dollars and hours of my time pursuing a crazy hobby called "Machine Shop". I'm an engineer and physicist by trade -so, what the heck am I doing this for? LOL... That's easy. Because I love it and it gives me peace. I nearly lost three fingers last year and I was back in the saddle the next day. For the first time in 30 years of continuous employment, I got laid off (along with 660 other people) -and now, I have my beloved hobby to keep me active and give me a goal of making a career out of it.

Moral of the story: You can't predict how things will turn out.
Possibly another moral to the story: As I look back in life, many things didn't turn-out the way I wanted them too but, I have to think hard about what they were. First and foremost of my memories are the zillions of things that did turn-out well. -And for that, I am grateful so, the more you do, the more you have to be grateful for.

Tell me more, please. I actually wouldn't mind if someone talked me completely out of this whole idea.

That was just a minor jab at Ray, as he likes/prefers larger 'full featured' lathes. I do too. I just don't have the room and can't manhandle a half-ton (or more) machine by myself.

Biggest issue I have with the 1127 is the lack of a full QC gearbox. But to get that and other 'wanna haves', I have to step up to a 14x40. Ain't gonna happen. So I deal with machines that don't have everything. Life's never perfect.

Bill

That was just a minor jab at Ray, as he likes/prefers larger 'full featured' lathes. I do too. I just don't have the room and can't manhandle a half-ton (or more) machine by myself.

Biggest issue I have with the 1127 is the lack of a full QC gearbox. But to get that and other 'wanna haves', I have to step up to a 14x40. Ain't gonna happen. So I deal with machines that don't have everything. Life's never perfect.

Bill

I like larger machines too and really have my heart set on the 1440HD but, "it ain't gunna happen" since I can't afford it... I have my 1236 and it serves me well but once you get a taste of a real machine, you just want more. It's as addictive as high-horsepower engines in automobiles.

All I can say, is that if anyone is on the fence about needing a lathe, you probably don't want to buy a bigger one... The 1127 really is a nice machine for hobbyist purposes.

... And just some inside information... Be apprised that most machine vendors are going to experience a price increase this year. Virtually across the board, every Chinese and Taiwanese factory have announced price increases on all the contracts that expired this year. Most of Matt's machines are OK and only two machines were impacted with a slight increase of about 40 bucks. He did not jack up the price anymore than what he got hit with. I'm curious to see what the other vendors do.

... And just some inside information... Be apprised that most machine vendors are going to experience a price increase this year. Virtually across the board, every Chinese and Taiwanese factory have announced price increases on all the contracts that expired this year. Most of Matt's machines are OK and only two machines were impacted with a slight increase of about 40 bucks. He did not jack up the price anymore than what he got hit with. I'm curious to see what the other vendors do.

Actually I think the price on the 1127 went up right after I ordered one.

I suspect that this is just the beginning. Once all manufacturing in the USA has been completely gutted by Chinese competition (more than it already is), things are going to get REAL interesting. Heck, I'm thinking that anything stamped with "Made in America" is going to be a valuable collectible sometime down the road.

Back