Pm 1030v Chuck Help

I believe the direct mount chuck on your 1030 is very similar to our direct mount chucks on the 1127VF-LB lathes that both Lee and I have. When I received my lathe, the 3 jaw had approx .012" of run out and I couldn't get it any better. I finally got my hands on a piece of 1" mild steel plate and turned and new back plate myself. I first took a light skim cut of approx. .002" on the boss of my spindle that the backplate registers on. Then I measured it with my micrometers. I then turned the new back plate to approx .0005" under that measurement and faced it. Then it was just a time consuming matter of taking the chuck off and test fitting the back plate. Each time I had to reinstall the chuck and then polish a bit with some 320 grit sand paper. It took 5 or six chuck removals/installs until the backplate slid on. Then I put the backplate in my rotary table and drilled and tapped the bolt holes. After that I installed the backplate and machine it to fit the 3-jaw chuck. I ended up with a slight press fit that actually required a soft face hammer to get the chuck to seat. Now I have a 3-jaw with .002-.003 runout.

I would imagine the process to be the same for the 5-c collet chuck. You could perhaps make the back plate to chuck fitment a bit loose and then have the ability to "tap" the chuck around to dial it in.

From what I can tell, this type of chuck mounting system is not very common and I wouldn't expect to find any ready made back plates for it. You might try looking at a site like Shars where they offer unfinished backplates to save you some time.

Thank you shooter. I have seen the Shars unfinished plates. Looks like a good option. I am still on a quest to find out what these mounting systems are classified as. I.E. A1-3 or something along those lines.

Ironken, I remember seeing a thread a while back about it. There was some DIN spec quoted for the spindle nose, but I remember people saying that it wasn't correct. I really do think you best bet will be to make a new backplate.

I agree shooter. Making one isn't that big of a deal.

Back