Pm 1030v Chuck Help

Ironken

Registered
Registered
Gentlemen, I've never dealt with these small lathes before and need some guidance on this "direct mount" chuck.

I want to mount a larger chuck, maybe 6". Right or wrong, can somebody define what on earth this thing is called?

I know a backing plate must be used and possibly machined to fit and for concentricity but which backing plate do I start with? I see littlemachineshop.com sells the adapter plates. Everything but what I think I need.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I have thought about a 5C collet chuck so I am interested too.

By the way I think you are on the right track in your first post. I looked there also, seems that a blank backing plate is our only option.

Last edited:
Not familiar with the 1030, but the spindle on the 1127 has a "boss" nearly .500” & the 5C collet Chuck I used had an opposing indent nearly as deep; therefore, it required a fairly thick back plate. I made my back plate from a piece of aluminum 7" X 2" thick. I also modified the 5C collet Chuck to make it "front mount" so that I could fine tune it in. This is the only pix I have on my iPad, but will be glad to take more if interested.
a8c913461a11ee02c724d42ca0f7c595.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

By the way I think you are on the right track in your first post. I looked there also, seems that a blank backing plate is our only option.

I agree Jer. If I find anything out, I will post here.

Oops, just remembered the "correct" way to attach a pix. Here it is as an attachment.
IMG_3128.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Lee, the main reason I haven't pursued this further is I have been trying to talk myself out of a PM12x36 lathe...LOL...

I would like to see more on your 5C chuck but this isn't my thread. You interested Ironken?

Last edited:
I believe the direct mount chuck on your 1030 is very similar to our direct mount chucks on the 1127VF-LB lathes that both Lee and I have. When I received my lathe, the 3 jaw had approx .012" of run out and I couldn't get it any better. I finally got my hands on a piece of 1" mild steel plate and turned and new back plate myself. I first took a light skim cut of approx. .002" on the boss of my spindle that the backplate registers on. Then I measured it with my micrometers. I then turned the new back plate to approx .0005" under that measurement and faced it. Then it was just a time consuming matter of taking the chuck off and test fitting the back plate. Each time I had to reinstall the chuck and then polish a bit with some 320 grit sand paper. It took 5 or six chuck removals/installs until the backplate slid on. Then I put the backplate in my rotary table and drilled and tapped the bolt holes. After that I installed the backplate and machine it to fit the 3-jaw chuck. I ended up with a slight press fit that actually required a soft face hammer to get the chuck to seat. Now I have a 3-jaw with .002-.003 runout.

I would imagine the process to be the same for the 5-c collet chuck. You could perhaps make the back plate to chuck fitment a bit loose and then have the ability to "tap" the chuck around to dial it in.

From what I can tell, this type of chuck mounting system is not very common and I wouldn't expect to find any ready made back plates for it. You might try looking at a site like Shars where they offer unfinished backplates to save you some time.

Thanks Lee, the main reason I haven't pursued this further is I have been trying to talk myself out of a PM12x36 lathe...LOL...

I would like to see more on your 5C chuck but this isn't my thread. You interested Ironken?

Well hell yes I am Jer! Because.........TOOLS!

Back