Please Review My Plan

jbmauser

Registered
Registered
I have a SB48 lathe, a steel bar 1 1/2 in. Dia. that is to long to cut down for working stock with the tailstock in place. I am going to chuck it up and support it with the steady rest and cut it in half. I saw a video on youtube and the guy was doing exactly what I plan to do but he was cutting a hollow AL tube. he ran his cut off tool behind the rest and handled the cut off stock by hand. this bar is heavy and I am sure it will sag as the cut nears the center and it will bind on the tool, (my estimation anyway) I think I will support the stock and cut inside the rest on the chuck side and cut it in thirds or even quarters and balance the waste side and perhaps place support on the ways so the waste will stay level as it is cut free. Or I could cut to 1/2 in. and move to a hacksaw. My concern is binding on the tool and having a bit of excitement I don't meed. This bar is salvage from a yard for the purpose of cutting nothing in particular, practice, do dads and what nots.

I only have a hand hacksaw. Bandsaw is for wood speed. I would have to reach out for a metal bandsaw . A hand hacksaw sounds like a real chore.

I would not attempt cutting that long bar in half on the lathe....wrong tool for the job.

+1 for hacksaw. Yes, that'll be some work.

I would also consider doing it with an 4 or 5-inch angle grinder. Wear your glasses, if the cut-off disc gets jammed in the cut it's coming apart.......

-brino

Ok, I have an angle grinder with a cut off wheel. Just a thought .... how about turning it on the lathe and cutting 1/2 way then dismount and apply hacksaw?

Plan b is fine. Steady rest in normal position. Just keep an eye on the far end and plunge until you see it wiggle a tiny bit. Back the part off tool out, stop the lathe, and get to working the loose end back and forth. It's called "worrying" the piece in two.

My bet is that a good manual hacksaw, a good blade, the right lube and technique and it is the quickest route.
It might be old school but it works and with good hand tools you would be surprised how little effort is required. Plus, exercise is good for the operator :)

Last edited:
Looking for plan C or to just retire this unknown steel and buy some known stock. I did not cut 1/8 into the shaft with a new Starrett hack saw blade and it quite cutting. lube and all. This metal is very hard. I think I will order some AL stock to start and work on developing a feel for the lathe then move on to stock of known material. Thanks all but I am out of tools.

Back