Please Help mw with a Huanyang VFD

There does not seem to be a manual anywhere on the Internet. Only available from the vendor.

Try using the descriptions that mkjs posted to identify the proper parameter numbers, use the values suggested. I don't know what else to do.

Hello All;
I have went though all of the parameters many, many times and they are set to the best of my knowledge/ability.
I tried to cross reference to what "mksj" said but there are differences.

OK let me tell you where I am at, the VFD seems to be putting out approx. 325volts of 3-Phase power and the motor is now running.
I connected it up to lathe and it started but shortly there after it shut down with an error message. I reset the VFD and changed the transmission on the lathe
to a higher speed it ran longer then shut down. I set the transmission on the highest speed gearing and the lathe ran fine.
I am not sure where the problem is but it seems to me the issue is in the amperage being given out.
The voltage is not at the 380 Volts like I specified but that is not a major issue as the lathe is running at the output voltage and I am happy with that!

If it helps I am prepared to scan many of the pages in my manual for those that understand VFD's.
I am determined to make this work!
I ask you please to stay with me on this issue as my wife is now furious with me for buying the lathe!

Thanks to all!

Al

Hard to say about measuring the output voltage with a conventional Multimeter, since the waveform is PWM (but you do have voltage). I use a Fluke 289 which has filtering and gives more accurate readings. Depending on the meter's bandwidth, a conventional DMM can give measurement voltages 20-30% higher than actual. It would seem that your output voltage is lower than expected, I would check the VFD output w/wo the motor running and what happens when the motor trips. It might be tripping the converter because of a low bus voltage or under current. There should be an error code listed when it trips, which tells you why this occurred. Hopefully someone can tell you what the error code means, as I see no explanations in the manual.

Regarding the programming nomenclature, usually these are listed in groupings of parameters, like pages in a book. So in this case P0 ~ is PD which are basic parameters, P2 looks like motor parameters, but once again this is specific to each VFD. I would not assume they are the same nor in the same code.

Per Jim's posting, make sure:
PD008 = 380
PD009 = 27.5
PD010 = 13.5

The motor should be configurable for 220V 3 phase per the motor description: https://www.meath-co.com/web/es-mit/uploadfile/three phase catalogue print edit9.pdf

Hello All;
If it helps I am prepared to scan many of the pages in my manual for those that understand VFD's.
I am determined to make this work!
I ask you please to stay with me on this issue as my wife is now furious with me for buying the lathe!

Thanks to all!

Al

It looks like we have 2 problems now. I'm pretty sure we can get the VFD sorted out, but you are going to have to make your wife happy.:lmao: Maybe fixing the first problem will help with the second.

Scanning the parameter pages of the manual would be helpful since there does not seem to be a manual available online.

Thank you mksj and Jim Dawson for hanging in there with me, it is much appreciated!
You are correct it looks like the P0 parameters similar to the PD parameters that you have but they seem to be more extensive.
With the P2 parameters they are the motor parameters!
The best thing for me is to start off I think with the P0 parameters then we can move on to some of the remaining parameters, OK!

P0.00 Speed Control model (Values 0-2)
P0.01 Run Command Source (Values 0-2)
P0.02 Keypad and Terminal Setting (Values 0-3)
P0.03 Max. Frequency (10,00 - 400.00)
P0.04 Upper Freq, Limit (P0.05 - P0.03)
P0.05 Lower Ferq. Limit (0.00 -P0.04)
P0.06 Keypad Reference Freq. (0.00 - P0.03)
P0.07 Freq. A Command Source (0 -7)
P0.08 Freq. B Command Source (0 -2)
P0.09 Scale of Freq. B command (0 -1)
P0.010 Freq. Command Selection (0 -3)
P0.011 Acceleration Time (0.1 -3600.0s)
P0.012 Deceleration Time (0.1 -3600.0s)
P0.013 Run Direction Selection (0-3)
P0.014 Carrier Freq, (1.0 -15kHz)
P0.015 AVR Function (0 -2)
P0.016 Motor Parameters Auto tuning (0 -2)
P0.017 Restore Parameters (0 -2)

The next set is the P1 series which are described as Group Start and Stop Control

I typed this out to give you and idea of the P0.xx codes, detailed information will have to come from a scan of the manual as it is many pages long.

Regards

Al

Hello All;
I have now scanned the pages which cover the setting for P0.xxx of the VFD.
These pages can be used with the previous post to determine the setting that I will need?

Image0001.JPG

Image0002.JPG

Image0003.JPG

Image0004.JPG

Image0005.JPG

Please advise if you need additional documentation or have suggestions.

Al

Image0001.JPG Image0002.JPG Image0003.JPG Image0004.JPG Image0005.JPG

Last edited:
Hey.... YEah, Something is up. I cannot find the post and I also needed to find 1 of my posts today that referenced ground ball screws. that seems missing also- Hmmmm Maybe it's me but things seem mia??? I've been cutting Fire wood all day. Will grab the codes on mine ASAP. Let me go look now.
CG.

I also searched and am not able to locate my post.

Here is what I think the settings should be.

PD001 0
PD002 0
PD003 0
PD004 50

PD006 3.0

PD008 380
PD009 27.5
PD010 13.5

PD014 10.0 (just a good starting point)
PD015 10.0

PD025 0

With the motor parameters set correctly, this should get your running.

I hope this helps.

Sorry gang- I was busy w/ Firewood most of the day!

On the start up - Tell the Misses it just takes a bit of time but it'll all work out. This should work and it's a very sophisticated device. I've been nearly in fits and tears at times. Tell her one of my Fav. quote scenarios: "Experience is a tough teacher. You get the test first, and the lessons later". It'll run! I've started to get things together pretty well as time has gone on.

A few things: #1 can we revisit your Motors input VAc setting? Is it possibly wired for 220 -vs- 380? This is usually something you setup w/ jumper bars under the lid where the wires go in. A jumper Config for 220 3 phase input or a jumper config for the 380 3 phase. I am wondering is this is set to the 220 3phase under the motor's hood. Which would lead us to swap around your settings back on a few PD values. ... Or was that already confirmed in the threads? If set wrong the Current and Voltage curves will be all off and it will pop the error codes and stop.

The 4 poles note is also important. The Poles setting is found on page 54 PD143. should be 4 (default) And maybe check these too pls.
PD141 rated motor Vac. (when you find out if 220 or 380 hard wired for the input )
PD142 rated current of motor
PD144 Motor RPMS
PD14 can slowly be increased for torque.... default of 2% but goto 3 , 4 , or even 5% (After you determine what the motor is wired for).

On the bottom of page 28 of my manual, there is a small chart which outlines some code defaults for P009,10,14,15,41 Your model is on the top line.

Hello All;

I connected it up to lathe and it started but shortly there after it shut down with an error message. I reset the VFD and changed the transmission on the lathe
to a higher speed it ran longer then shut down. I set the transmission on the highest speed gearing and the lathe ran fine.

Al

This is interesting. The higher the motor is loaded, the more the VFD likes it. Based on this, I'm guessing that the motor will only run very briefly with the belt off. It sounds like the intermediate voltage is set to high, but I'm not sure what parameter that is.

I think we are going to need to see the next set of parameters.

Sorry gang- I was busy w/ Firewood most of the day!

On the start up - Tell the Misses it just takes a bit of time but it'll all work out. This should work and it's a very sophisticated device. I've been nearly in fits and tears at times. Tell her one of my Fav. quote scenarios: "Experience is a tough teacher. You get the test first, and the lessons later". It'll run! I've started to get things together pretty well as time has gone on.

A few things: #1 can we revisit your Motors input VAc setting? Is it possibly wired for 220 -vs- 380? This is usually something you setup w/ jumper bars under the lid where the wires go in. A jumper Config for 220 3 phase input or a jumper config for the 380 3 phase. I am wondering is this is set to the 220 3phase under the motor's hood. Which would lead us to swap around your settings back on a few PD values. ... Or was that already confirmed in the threads? If set wrong the Current and Voltage curves will be all off and it will pop the error codes and stop.

The 4 poles note is also important. The Poles setting is found on page 54 PD143. should be 4 (default) And maybe check these too pls.
PD141 rated motor Vac. (when you find out if 220 or 380 hard wired for the input )
PD142 rated current of motor
PD144 Motor RPMS
PD14 can slowly be increased for torque.... default of 2% but goto 3 , 4 , or even 5% (After you determine what the motor is wired for).

On the bottom of page 28 of my manual, there is a small chart which outlines some code defaults for P009,10,14,15,41 Your model is on the top line.

Hello countryguy;
OK regarding the motor the owner of the shop confirmed today that the Voltage that the motor was set at was in fact 380 Volts. Before ordering the VFD I took the motor to a small company who rebuilds motors and had asked them to switch it back to 220 Volts.
Living here in Thailand can be difficult basically a language difference. In his mind I think he thought that strange as 3-Phase power here is only 380 volts. I tried to explain that I wanted to install a box that does 3-Phase conversion but he could not grasp the concept.
He plugged my motor into a 3-Phase receptical and it ran fine. I went to his business this morning and he confirmed that the 3-Phase that he gets is 380 Volts. So two people have confirmed that the motor runs at 380 volts.
I could not find a setting whereby one sets the number of Poles. I sound a section at the back of the manual that lists all of the segments that can be set. The range is P0.xxx to P9.xxx then to PA.xxx, Pb.xxx and PC.xxx.
This shortened version of the codes and what they are makes up approx. 33 pages. Not something I want to scan.
I will after completing this reply provide an more detailed description of the Code Groups and what they mean. If someone can figure out which ones we need to concentrate on I will scan those pages and post them.
Final note, my VFD is I believe a more complicated box versus the standard 220 Single Phase to 220 Volt 3-Phase that most people have. I wanted to go this route but due to the motor situation I decided to pay the extra money for the larger unit.
My thinking that by doing this it would be trouble free, Boy was I wrong!

Best Regards

Al

Back